So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

Postby SethBullock » 02 Dec 2018, 16:10

Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
sherri wrote:Good grief, what's that thing?
We'll need to add it to the list.

Bet you don't get many hikers in Oregon. or not as many as there... used to be, put it that way.

It's a cougar, Sherri. Recently an unarmed woman was hiking alone along a trail near Mt Hood and was killed by a cougar. Cougar attacks on humans are rare, but they do happen from time to time. It is much more common to be stalked, but not attacked, by cougar though. Hunters become aware of it rather often. They often find cougar tracks over their own tracks when returning from a hunt. It is unwise to go hiking alone or unarmed.

A friend of mine hunts elk. Before the season opened, he was spending some time scouting the elk. He came across a fresh killed elk. It was a full grown cow elk which is a big animal. So he attached a game camera to a tree aimed at the dead elk and came back the next day. This is what the camera captured. Now to get some idea how big this cougar was, that is a full grown cow elk in the foreground. That cougar had to be a male over 200 lbs.

cougar 3.JPG

Great piccie Seth

Yeah, it's an awesome pic my friend got. Can you believe the size of that cat? That thing is friggin awesome!

Males can weigh up to 220 lbs (100 kg), and I would say that cougar is all of that.

He's a beautiful beast, but he is also the reason why you don't go camping or hiking unarmed.

Felines are amazing. Graceful, lazy, kill for fun, 4 razor blades in either hand and foot ........

Feral cats over here are a serious hazard.
A cat that size ......... yikes,

Yes, they are beautiful, top tier predators.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Postby pinkeye » 02 Dec 2018, 23:10

well it does seem,( well at least it used to be, haven't checked lately) that horses kill more people than any other creature ( discounting humans of course :roll ).
Although the sharks are starting to catch up... and someone died from a snake bite the other day.. most unusual. Too far from help.. Tiger Snake.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 03 Dec 2018, 10:20

Topic of snakes! Co-incidentally, daughter had a modelling photo shoot in Brisbane recently, I have blurred out face, and photographer logo for privacy, but howz this for a snake slithering and curling up around your body for a photo shoot! Daughter says she hid her nervousness well. I did handle a snake once, at a field day, interesting, but I knew it was okay, and not venemous, otherwise, I'm outta there!

Last edited by Lols on 03 Dec 2018, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 03 Dec 2018, 11:02

SethBullock wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Bet you don't get many hikers in Oregon. or not as many as there... used to be, put it that way.

It's a cougar, Sherri. Recently an unarmed woman was hiking alone along a trail near Mt Hood and was killed by a cougar. Cougar attacks on humans are rare, but they do happen from time to time. It is much more common to be stalked, but not attacked, by cougar though. Hunters become aware of it rather often. They often find cougar tracks over their own tracks when returning from a hunt. It is unwise to go hiking alone or unarmed.

A friend of mine hunts elk. Before the season opened, he was spending some time scouting the elk. He came across a fresh killed elk. It was a full grown cow elk which is a big animal. So he attached a game camera to a tree aimed at the dead elk and came back the next day. This is what the camera captured. Now to get some idea how big this cougar was, that is a full grown cow elk in the foreground. That cougar had to be a male over 200 lbs.

cougar 3.JPG

Great piccie Seth

Yeah, it's an awesome pic my friend got. Can you believe the size of that cat? That thing is friggin awesome!

Males can weigh up to 220 lbs (100 kg), and I would say that cougar is all of that.

He's a beautiful beast, but he is also the reason why you don't go camping or hiking unarmed.

Felines are amazing. Graceful, lazy, kill for fun, 4 razor blades in either hand and foot ........

One swipe of one of its paws and I would be in big trouble.
Can't outrun it, can't outclimb it ....... do these cats swim ?
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 03 Dec 2018, 11:32

Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
SethBullock wrote:It's a cougar, Sherri. Recently an unarmed woman was hiking alone along a trail near Mt Hood and was killed by a cougar. Cougar attacks on humans are rare, but they do happen from time to time. It is much more common to be stalked, but not attacked, by cougar though. Hunters become aware of it rather often. They often find cougar tracks over their own tracks when returning from a hunt. It is unwise to go hiking alone or unarmed.

cougar 3.JPG

Great piccie Seth

One swipe of one of its paws and I would be in big trouble.
Can't outrun it, can't outclimb it ....... do these cats swim ?

You'd better swim fast ... and don't get tired.

Scary video here. The owner of the video doesn't allow it to show on other sites, but the link is below. This looks to me like an average sized cougar, perhaps around 150 lb, maybe less. He is not like the brute captured on film by my friend's game camera. I can read this cat's mind. He's trying to decide if he can take this human down and eat him, but he's not sure. So he just keeps stalking and watching and assessing his chances, and finally decides against it. Probably the worst thing this guy could have done would have been to turn and run.

Again, this guy should not have been out there without a firearm. I have no desire to kill a cougar. I think they're magnificent animals. If it were me, I would just fire a shot away from him, and I am confident it would take off and not come back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FbHzeCJjM
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 03 Dec 2018, 11:36

Lols wrote:Topic of snakes! Co-incidentally, daughter had a modelling photo shoot in Brisbane recently, I have blurred out face, and photographer logo for privacy, but howz this for a snake slithering and curling up around your body for a photo shoot! Daughter says she hid her nervousness well. I did handle a snake once, at a field day, interesting, but I knew it was okay, and not venemous, otherwise, I'm outta there!

Blurred face or not, I'm sure she's a very pretty young lady.

I see snakes from time to time when I'm hunting or fishing. I only have to worry if they're rattlesnakes. Otherwise, they don't bother me at all.

You've got some badass snakes in Australia, that's for sure.
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby Lols » 03 Dec 2018, 12:12

Thanks Seth, she is very attractive, and a lot of males would like to court her, but she has been just doing her own thing and avoiding the dating scene (much to my dismay), for a bout 4 years, since she has had a couple of bad experiences with her past boyfriends, and ended up in court, one became an f-wit stalker, tried to get him to court, but it just never happened, maybe because his step dad is a copper? And maybe because he is an ex-sniper in the army and must have a few firearms? If he ended up in court, he would have lost those firearms a copper friend told us.

So we let it go, but the next one was very disappointing, thought he would be okay, being a security and wanting to get into the police force, I did say to daughter, you need to get to know them, it takes a few months, and this one, I said, my first instinct was, "He seems to be hiding something"....well, he was. Bad drug situation when he was a teen.....he was 15, and his best mate's lil sister said to him "I like you"...then within a couple of days, she was accidentally killed by a bus on the road. Both those boys were grieved to the max and didn't care if they died and went so into drugs.

So that's where, the story doesn't end, they did grow up, and I think, he bacame very bi-polar, I only ever saw his nice side, but felt something else was behind that.
I was right, it must have been some disagreement they had, as he pulled a gun out on daughter one night, she cried and told me she thought she was going to die that night.

We went to Magistrate court, but for some reason, (maybe Aussie knows more than me).....they took him aside, not going through the court, and gave him a warning, knowing he was a security guard with a gun etc (or else he loses his job and gun?).
Since all that, I think she feels she just picks the wrong guys, but my son says, his generation are f...cked with drugs and hard to find someone that isn't into drinking, or smoking, or drugs.

Both my kids are not into any of that, and are both super fit, as we always supported them in sports and interests.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 03 Dec 2018, 12:51

Lols wrote:Thanks Seth, she is very attractive,

She is her mother's daughter, after all ... :bgrin

Lols wrote: and a lot of males would like to court her, but she has been just doing her own thing and avoiding the dating scene (much to my dismay), for a bout 4 years, since she has had a couple of bad experiences with her past boyfriends, and ended up in court, one became an f-wit stalker, tried to get him to court, but it just never happened, maybe because his step dad is a copper? And maybe because he is an ex-sniper in the army and must have a few firearms? If he ended up in court, he would have lost those firearms a copper friend told us.

So we let it go, but the next one was very disappointing, thought he would be okay, being a security and wanting to get into the police force, I did say to daughter, you need to get to know them, it takes a few months, and this one, I said, my first instinct was, "He seems to be hiding something"....well, he was. Bad drug situation when he was a teen.....he was 15, and his best mate's lil sister said to him "I like you"...then within a couple of days, she was accidentally killed by a bus on the road. Both those boys were grieved to the max and didn't care if they died and went so into drugs.

So that's where, the story doesn't end, they did grow up, and I think, he bacame very bi-polar, I only ever saw his nice side, but felt something else was behind that.
I was right, it must have been some disagreement they had, as he pulled a gun out on daughter one night, she cried and told me she thought she was going to die that night.

We went to Magistrate court, but for some reason, (maybe Aussie knows more than me).....they took him aside, not going through the court, and gave him a warning, knowing he was a security guard with a gun etc (or else he loses his job and gun?).
Since all that, I think she feels she just picks the wrong guys, but my son says, his generation are f...cked with drugs and hard to find someone that isn't into drinking, or smoking, or drugs.

Both my kids are not into any of that, and are both super fit, as we always supported them in sports and interests.

My daughter is 29, very attractive, no kids, no divorces. But my wife and I say her picker is broken. She cannot pick a decent boyfriend. They have all been disasters. Plain as the nose on your face to us, but not to her.

*sigh*
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby Sprintcyclist » 03 Dec 2018, 13:28

Scary video here. The owner of the video doesn't allow it to show on other sites, but the link is below. This looks to me like an average sized cougar, perhaps around 150 lb, maybe less. He is not like the brute captured on film by my friend's game camera. I can read this cat's mind. He's trying to decide if he can take this human down and eat him, but he's not sure. So he just keeps stalking and watching and assessing his chances, and finally decides against it. Probably the worst thing this guy could have done would have been to turn and run.

Again, this guy should not have been out there without a firearm. I have no desire to kill a cougar. I think they're magnificent animals. If it were me, I would just fire a shot away from him, and I am confident it would take off and not come back.

had a feeling they were ok with swimming.
Generally running away from a predator does not work.

Perhaps the waves of fear coming from me would sweep them away ?
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 03 Dec 2018, 15:02

Sprintcyclist wrote:

had a feeling they were ok with swimming.
Generally running away from a predator does not work.

Perhaps the waves of fear coming from me would sweep them away ?

Lol ...
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 03 Dec 2018, 20:58

Sprintcyclist wrote:Perhaps the waves of fear coming from me would sweep them away ?

the best way to get away from them is to always go bush walking with someone who is slower than you!

:bgrin :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 03 Dec 2018, 22:41

Lols wrote:Topic of snakes! Co-incidentally, daughter had a modelling photo shoot in Brisbane recently, I have blurred out face, and photographer logo for privacy, but howz this for a snake slithering and curling up around your body for a photo shoot! Daughter says she hid her nervousness well. I did handle a snake once, at a field day, interesting, but I knew it was okay, and not venemous, otherwise, I'm outta there!

Hmm.. well THAT is a Carpet Python. Got them here.. bigger than that. My neighbours have them living in their roof. :bgrin

They are harmless. Well, as long as you're not a small tasty bundle...
Last edited by pinkeye on 03 Dec 2018, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 03 Dec 2018, 22:48

johnsmith wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:Perhaps the waves of fear coming from me would sweep them away ?

the best way to get away from them is to always go bush walking with someone who is slower than you!

:bgrin :bgrin

Yeah well Cougars are sort of like Jaguars, in that they like to carry their kill to higher ground, or up into branchs.

As far as I know , the recent death of a cyclist(?) over there somewhere, is the first death by Cougar ever officially recorded.

If it was California, which is likely, the poor beast was that desperate for food and water it'd take on anything. Californians have drained their aquifers for decades, and wonder why everything is dry, and BURNING.!! :roll

The effects from human habitation and abuse means California will become less and less habitable.
And that isn't even considering Earthquake potential.

Just another example of our collective deathwish.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 04 Dec 2018, 13:46

Here's another one:

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 05 Dec 2018, 00:49

irakanji perhaps that's phonetic??

Nasty .. another reason why I don't swim on or in :bgrin the ocean. :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Miranda » 05 Dec 2018, 08:05

SethBullock wrote:
sherri wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

cougar 3.JPG

Cougars, coyotes, big bears. :OMG
Unable to take a bush walk if you haven't got arms.

And Americans think Australia is a dangerous place?

I rest my case. :bgrin

You've got plenty of dangerous animals - deadly snakes, man-eating sharks and crocs, poisonous spiders. Hell, even toads!

Somehow, horses and cows kill you guys. :WTF

I rest my case. :bgrin back atcha!

You forgot to add other humans as the cause of most human death in Australia. Give them a car and they can be leathal.
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby pinkeye » 05 Dec 2018, 23:49

Really that goes without saying.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 05 Dec 2018, 23:50

pinkeye wrote:well it does seem,( well at least it used to be, haven't checked lately) that horses kill more people than any other creature ( discounting humans of course :roll ).
Although the sharks are starting to catch up... and someone died from a snake bite the other day.. most unusual. Too far from help.. Tiger Snake.

See... been there said that.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 06 Dec 2018, 00:40

I don’t know that a snapping turtle would kill you, but I would wish I was dead.

I suspect this idiot lost a finger or two.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 06 Dec 2018, 01:37

doh.. I wonder why they are called 'snapping turt ... yeeow'

idiots persist , everywhere
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 06 Dec 2018, 21:13

Texan wrote:I don’t know that a snapping turtle would kill you, but I would wish I was dead.

I suspect this idiot lost a finger or two.

i used to enjoy watching you version of our 'crocodile hunter', the 'turtleman'. He's an absolute nutter that bloke. :purple
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Previous

Return to Off Topic