Uber.

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Uber.

Postby Aussie » 06 Dec 2018, 19:36

Link.

Please read the entire Article as it is full of truths....starting off with this.

By steamrolling local taxi operations in cities all over the world and cultivating cheerleaders in the business press and among Silicon Valley libertarians, Uber has managed to create an image of inevitability and invincibility. But the company just posted another quarter of jaw-dropping losses — this time over $1 billion, after $4.5 billion of losses in 2017. How much is hype and how much is real?

The thing is a complete house of cards, and only survives because some Arabs keep tossing money at it....which is like tossing gold coins into a volcano and expecting it to spew rivers of gold.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: Uber.

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 12:10

Literal anarchy... :roll
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby greggerypeccary » 07 Dec 2018, 12:39

All people care about is getting a cheap ride.

In Perth, it costs me about $7 just to get in a taxi (before it even drives anywhere).

For that same $7, I can catch an Uber to pubs and restaurants two or three suburbs away.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 12:58

greggerypeccary wrote:All people care about is getting a cheap ride.

In Perth, it costs me about $7 just to get in a taxi (before it even drives anywhere).

For that same $7, I can catch an Uber to pubs and restaurants two or three suburbs away.

Fair enough... I'm just saying the goalposts got moved and people, meaning a whole industry, got very upset and rightly so...

--> put it this way: would you work for uber? :roll
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby greggerypeccary » 07 Dec 2018, 13:16

Bongalong wrote:

Fair enough... I'm just saying the goalposts got moved and people, meaning a whole industry, got very upset and rightly so...

No way.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 14:20

greggerypeccary wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

No way.

You get a million points for honesty :bike :bike
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 14:30

Link.
Aussie

Postby greggerypeccary » 07 Dec 2018, 14:44

Aussie wrote:

Link.

$6.10 or $9.70, at the times when I use taxis.

Too much.

My place to the airport in a taxi = $38

In an Uber = $10 to $14
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 14:56

Too much.

In an Uber = $10 to $14

Great for you, but you are taking advantage of a slave labouring idiot who is working for peanuts. Of that, say $12.50, he'll get say $7.00....pay GST and then income tax....then pay for the fuel and maintenance toll suffered by his car on that trip.
Aussie

Postby Texan » 07 Dec 2018, 14:58

Bongalong wrote:

I have 3 friends who uber for extra spending money. They seem to enjoy meeting people. It seems to pay about $30/hr - auto expenses. One friend is a mechanic and with cheap gas right now, he is doing fine. I haven't talked to the other 2 about how they are making out, I know that they aren't very mechanically inclined and increased maintenance may eat their profits.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 15:02

It seems to pay about $30/hr......

That'd be bullshit. NYC Uber Drivers just won a Court decision that Uber pay them $17.00 per hour. Why would they go to Court if they were already getting $30.00 per hour?

:huh
Aussie

Postby greggerypeccary » 07 Dec 2018, 15:04

Aussie wrote:

Too much.

In an Uber = $10 to $14

Great for you, but you are taking advantage of a slave labouring idiot who is working for peanuts. Of that, say $12.50, he'll get say $7.00....pay GST and then income tax....then pay for the fuel and maintenance toll suffered by his car on that trip.

Yes, I realise all of that.

I don't know how they do it for the money - I certainly wouldn't.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 15:06

I don't know how they do it for the money......

Like frogs in water, heated slowly.......that's how.
Aussie

Postby greggerypeccary » 07 Dec 2018, 15:12

Aussie wrote:

They're quick, clean, and cheap so I'd be a fool not to use them.

Having said that, I don't actually have the app myself - my friends call the Ubers for me, and I pay them :bgrin

It makes me feel a little bit better about it :emb
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 15:14

greggerypeccary wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Link.

Too much.

In an Uber = $10 to $14

10 bucks lol: what a joke! :grn
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 15:17

Texan wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

I have 3 friends who uber for extra spending money. They seem to enjoy meeting people. It seems to pay about $30/hr - auto expenses. One friend is a mechanic and with cheap gas right now, he is doing fine. I haven't talked to the other 2 about how they are making out, I know that they aren't very mechanically inclined and increased maintenance may eat their profits.

Trust me: they will give it up... it's the old pizza delivery model but gone global via the dumb-ass mobile phone : the very same bullshite device that brought gambling to the living room but not only that for dumb idiots walking home drunk as a skunk... it's a virus mate this mobile phone crap!
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 15:19

greggerypeccary wrote:
Aussie wrote:

They're quick, clean, and cheap so I'd be a fool not to use them.

Having said that, I don't actually have the app myself - my friends call the Ubers for me, and I pay them :bgrin

It makes me feel a little bit better about it :emb

Lol, that makes the story even worse for the poor slaves involved -->yeh go mass immigration................... :OMG :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby greggerypeccary » 07 Dec 2018, 15:23

Bongalong wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Link.

Too much.

In an Uber = $10 to $14

10 bucks lol: what a joke! :grn

I had a 4-day weekend last weekend, where some friends of mine and I did a massive pub & restaurant crawl.

Over the four days, we never paid more than $11 for a single Uber ride.

Most fares were around $7 or $8 (to travel 2 or 3 suburbs).

A taxi would have slugged us $25 at least.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 15:36

Naked carpetbagging exploitation of 'workers.'

Simple as that. Don't be a party to it.
Aussie

Postby Texan » 07 Dec 2018, 15:36

Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Trust me: they will give it up... it's the old pizza delivery model but gone global via the dumb-ass mobile phone : the very same bullshite device that brought gambling to the living room but not only that for dumb idiots walking home drunk as a skunk... it's a virus mate this mobile phone crap!

I think they are just doing it for Christmas shopping money. They all have good day jobs and just do it for extra cash here and there. They don't drive all day for a living. 2 are a pharmaceutical rep and his wife, the other is a diesel mechanic manager. Both households are bringing in six figures.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Dax » 07 Dec 2018, 17:37

If the taxi companies want to take on uber, they have to change their game and stop charging exorbitant prices for virtually nothing. However they are stuck in the past of monopolisation, when that era is now over.

Since uber started, have heard a lot of talk about it from taxi drivers, uber drivers and patrons. Most patrons are sick of both services, taxis are expensive before you start, uber is unreliable with prices and also turning up, like cabs.

The first ones who go fully electric, will win the race as it will drop costs by over 50%, lowering those prices accordingly. The next step would be to deregulate taxi prices and allow them to provide a price for a journey before leaving the pickup area. That would give the customer the choice of who to take, they could do it easily at ranks by typing in your destination on an electronic board and then each cab displaying their prices for the journey on their taxi sign and locking it in when the customer chooses. For pickups, they could do the same at the depot, by calling cabs for quotes for the pickup and giving it to the lowest closest taxi and a time limit for the pickup. If the cab is more than couple of minute late, they lose a portion of the fare and if things like this were introduced, it should also apply to uber, but would also send uber drivers out of business. They have no central control center, or ranks so would be at a huge disadvantage.

Currently it is first in line gets the job and that is not competition, but monopolisation. From a personal point of view, uber should would disappear if real competition is put into the taxi market.
Dax
Irish wolfhound

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 17:42

Dax wrote:If the taxi companies want to take on uber, they have to change their game and stop charging exorbitant prices for virtually nothing. However they are stuck in the past of monopolisation, when that era is now over.

Since uber started, have heard a lot of talk about it from taxi drivers, uber drivers and patrons. Most patrons are sick of both services, taxis are expensive before you start, uber is unreliable with prices and also turning up, like cabs.

The first ones who go fully electric, will win the race as it will drop costs by over 50%, lowering those prices accordingly. The next step would be to deregulate taxi prices and allow them to provide a price for a journey before leaving the pickup area. That would give the customer the choice of who to take, they could do it easily at ranks by typing in your destination on an electronic board and then each cab displaying their prices for the journey on their taxi sign and locking it in when the customer chooses. For pickups, they could do the same at the depot, by calling cabs for quotes for the pickup and giving it to the lowest closest taxi and a time limit for the pickup. If the cab is more than couple of minute late, they lose a portion of the fare and if things like this were introduced, it should also apply to uber, but would also send uber drivers out of business. They have no central control center, or ranks so would be at a huge disadvantage.

Currently it is first in line gets the job and that is not competition, but monopolisation. From a personal point of view, uber should would disappear if real competition is put into the taxi market.

Nice theory.....totally impractical and unworkable at the coal face.
Aussie

Postby Dax » 07 Dec 2018, 18:01

Aussie wrote:
Dax wrote:If the taxi companies want to take on uber, they have to change their game and stop charging exorbitant prices for virtually nothing. However they are stuck in the past of monopolisation, when that era is now over.

Nice theory.....totally impractical and unworkable at the coal face.

Only with the current mindset and approach. Things have to change or the industry will collapse into even worse condition, change is the essence of evolution and the taxi industry has not evolved for over a century.

Our company when faced with the growing displeasure of customers with both taxis and uber, in appropriate venues have introduced a pickup and or drop off service, within a certain range of the venue. It has increased our business dramatically and given customers peace of mind and safety, especially women who use it the most and spend heaps more, by coming more regularly and eating there most nights. As soon as we can, we will be obtaining electric minivans and at one place, we have just introduced an electric scooter pick up. That is on the go constantly.

Unless the taxi business adapts to the changing conditions and requirements, other business will step into the growing gap.
Dax
Irish wolfhound

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 18:10

Good luck, and I don't care. I will get back from the Qld Government what it took from me on agreed terms and it then breached those terms.
Aussie

Postby Dax » 07 Dec 2018, 20:35

Aussie wrote:Good luck, and I don't care. I will get back from the Qld Government what it took from me on agreed terms and it then breached those terms.

That was my kids idea, not mine and they run the business now and are doing very well. They thought of it from what I did at one of our rural development venues, introduced a small community bus to take people home as they had no taxi service. It worked and a dying pub suddenly sprang to life as did the town.

Something has to be done, it's the people who are missing out in good service and drivers getting less and less work. There are more designated drivers in pubs now than ever before.

I'm just pointing out where your problems may go to, it's the same as uber eats etc, Trivago, airb&b etc. They thought they'd started a great new service and could charge what they liked, but it's all coming back to haunt them as business start returning to providing transport and delivery in-house, rather than the current insanity.

Could be just another example and warning sign of the growing collapse of ours and world society.
Dax
Irish wolfhound

Next

Return to Off Topic