UBER is Globalism

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

UBER is Globalism

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 11:00

... the vision is to create slaves everywhere: basic communist crap!

:Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: UBER is Globalism

Postby Dax » 07 Jan 2019, 11:14

Bongalong wrote:... the vision is to create slaves everywhere: basic communist crap!

Hilarious, very little to do with communism, but lots to do with capitalism. Only fools would think communism and capitalism are different, they aren't, the elites get the riches and the rest get enslaved in all ideological societies. Which shows how stupid and gullible ideological clones really are, just look in a mirror.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 11:17

Dax wrote:
Bongalong wrote:... the vision is to create slaves everywhere: basic communist crap!

Hilarious, very little to do with communism, but lots to do with capitalism. Only fools would think communism and capitalism are different, they aren't, the elites get the riches and the rest get enslaved in all ideological societies. Which shows how stupid and gullible ideological clones really are, just look in a mirror.

You're the one who who said one thing in the first sentence and then the complete opposite in the second!

:bgrin :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 07 Jan 2019, 11:57

Bongalong wrote:
Dax wrote:

You're the one who who said one thing in the first sentence and then the complete opposite in the second!

:bgrin :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

You need to get a real education, instead of just using the simple programming you get in school. They are two separate statements relating to your claim, "basic communist crap" when it has nothing to so with communism, but capitalism. Saying they are the same, is true, but their approach is different, with the same outcomes. The ideologist elites of both systems get the riches and the rest get enslavement, both the same but different approaches.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 12:53

It's all about tricking people into slave wages.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 07 Jan 2019, 12:56

Bongalong wrote:It's all about tricking people into slave wages.

Have you been silly enough to drive an Uber?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Texan » 07 Jan 2019, 13:01

How are they creating slaves? I have 3 friends who drive for Uber in their spare time. My neighbor across the street is a manager for a group of diesel mechanics. He drives to meet people and make extra cash. He averages about $30/hr Ubering. Because he is a mechanic, car maintenance is not a consideration. My other friends who Uber part time are a drug rep and his stay at home wife. They use their Uber paychecks to pay for kids' college. Their relationship with Uber seems strictly capitalistic. How is it slavery or communism?
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 13:15

Aussie wrote:
Bongalong wrote:It's all about tricking people into slave wages.

Have you been silly enough to drive an Uber?

No, I'm not a 16 year old desperate to get a stupid pizza delivery driver job to practise driving.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 13:18

Texan wrote:

How are they creating slaves? I have 3 friends who drive for Uber in their spare time. My neighbor across the street is a manager for a group of diesel mechanics. He drives to meet people and make extra cash. He averages about $30/hr Ubering. Because he is a mechanic, car maintenance is not a consideration. My other friends who Uber part time are a drug rep and his stay at home wife. They use their Uber paychecks to pay for kids' college. Their relationship with Uber seems strictly capitalistic. How is it slavery or communism?

If your friend is a mechanic then that's a big advantage, obviously: because wear and tear is the old pizza delivery driver trick.

But pretending Uber pays for anyones college education is just a straight out lie.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 07 Jan 2019, 13:27

Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:

If your friend is a mechanic then that's a big advantage, obviously: because wear and tear is the old pizza delivery driver trick.

But pretending Uber pays for anyones college education is just a straight out lie.

They didn't claim that it totally paid for all college costs at a major university. They simply said that that is what their pay was going toward. But for the sake of argument, 2 people making $30/hour and working a combined total of 30 hours/week would be $900/week. 900 times 40 weeks/year would be $36k/year. That could pay for college at most universities. Add whatever the kid can earn and it's doable.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 13:35

Texan wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:

They didn't claim that it totally paid for all college costs at a major university. They simply said that that is what their pay was going toward. But for the sake of argument, 2 people making $30/hour and working a combined total of 30 hours/week would be $900/week. 900 times 40 weeks/year would be $36k/year. That could pay for college at most universities. Add whatever the kid can earn and it's doable.
Is it tax free money now is it?

:rofl

I think your figures are positively a fiction... the more UBER drivers you've got on the road the less surge pricing you've got and that is the only time they make money. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE QUIT BECAUSE IT'S JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING PART TIME/CASUAL JOB WITH TOO MANY DOWN-SIDES!! MOST PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR UBER ADMIT TO NEEDING TO FILL IN THE TIME... they don't do it for the money... they do it because their bored which they finally admit once they've figured out the money isn't there but for some reason they just can't stop making others rich.

THEN THEY FINALLY ADMIT THEIR MISTAKE AND REJECT UBER FOR WORK... but they'll still catch it because they know it's too good to be true!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 07 Jan 2019, 13:51

My brother is a school teacher and he has been saving for years for his kid's college through a state program. His son is a junior at Texas A&M. My brother is now paying $4k/semester. He makes that money mowing yards in his spare time and in the Summer when school is out. There are a lot of variables in people's lives. To call them a liar from the opposite side of the globe is a little presumptive, especially when you have no idea of the differences between the cost of an education between the 2 places and what tuition assistance programs and scholarships may be available.

When my 17 year old begins college, he will have almost all of his tuition paid for by a Texas veteran's assistance program that I qualify for. I'll probably only have to pay for room and board and maybe books. I could pay for that easily doing Uber if I wanted. I have other sources of extra income in mind, but Uber would work as well.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 07 Jan 2019, 14:39

Texan wrote:My brother is a school teacher and he has been saving for years for his kid's college through a state program. His son is a junior at Texas A&M. My brother is now paying $4k/semester. He makes that money mowing yards in his spare time and in the Summer when school is out. There are a lot of variables in people's lives. To call them a liar from the opposite side of the globe is a little presumptive, especially when you have no idea of the differences between the cost of an education between the 2 places and what tuition assistance programs and scholarships may be available.

When my 17 year old begins college, he will have almost all of his tuition paid for by a Texas veteran's assistance program that I qualify for. I'll probably only have to pay for room and board and maybe books. I could pay for that easily doing Uber if I wanted. I have other sources of extra income in mind, but Uber would work as well.

Tell me why you'd drive an Uber instead of a Taxi?
Aussie

Postby Texan » 07 Jan 2019, 14:56

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:My brother is a school teacher and he has been saving for years for his kid's college through a state program. His son is a junior at Texas A&M. My brother is now paying $4k/semester. He makes that money mowing yards in his spare time and in the Summer when school is out. There are a lot of variables in people's lives. To call them a liar from the opposite side of the globe is a little presumptive, especially when you have no idea of the differences between the cost of an education between the 2 places and what tuition assistance programs and scholarships may be available.

They are cheaper and more flexible for me. I live 30 minutes from downtown Dallas and taxis don't typically run here and if you take a taxi this far out of the city, it would cost a fortune. Uber is available anywhere because Uber drivers live everywhere. My neighbor turns his Uber app on and drives in his spare time and mostly here in Ellis County. I can hire my neighbor to take me to the airport.(even though he would do it for free) I don't Uber or take taxis, as I drive a work vehicle to carry my tools and drive to remote sites at a moment's notice.

Why would I DRIVE an Uber over a taxi? I could do it in my spare time and not have to commute to work. I can choose my own hours. I can drive my own vehicle armed for my protection and not be restrained by company policies. I can drive in Ellis County, where crime is much less frequent. My friends sometimes drive Uber passengers to areas where they are already going. Sometimes, people may take an Uber to an away high school football game. Why not get paid to drive them there if you are going there anyway? That happened to one of my friends this year. He was paid to drive to see his daughters perform in the high school band. He took another couple of passengers in the area after the band performed and called it a night.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 07 Jan 2019, 15:35

So.....no Cab operates in Ellis County?
Aussie

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 17:09

yeh, whatevs :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jan 2019, 17:11

Texan wrote:
Aussie wrote:

They are cheaper and more flexible for me. I live 30 minutes from downtown Dallas and taxis don't typically run here and if you take a taxi this far out of the city, it would cost a fortune. Uber is available anywhere because Uber drivers live everywhere. My neighbor turns his Uber app on and drives in his spare time and mostly here in Ellis County. I can hire my neighbor to take me to the airport.(even though he would do it for free) I don't Uber or take taxis, as I drive a work vehicle to carry my tools and drive to remote sites at a moment's notice.

Why would I DRIVE an Uber over a taxi? I could do it in my spare time and not have to commute to work. I can choose my own hours. I can drive my own vehicle armed for my protection and not be restrained by company policies. I can drive in Ellis County, where crime is much less frequent. My friends sometimes drive Uber passengers to areas where they are already going. Sometimes, people may take an Uber to an away high school football game. Why not get paid to drive them there if you are going there anyway? That happened to one of my friends this year. He was paid to drive to see his daughters perform in the high school band. He took another couple of passengers in the area after the band performed and called it a night.

Lol, are you saying in America uber drives are allowed to be armed with whatever firearms they deem necessary?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 08 Jan 2019, 00:23

Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Lol, are you saying in America uber drives are allowed to be armed with whatever firearms they deem necessary?

If they can otherwise legally. In Texas, anybody who can legally own a handgun can carry concealed in their car. Uber drivers use their own car. If passengers can be armed, why not drivers? Don’t carjack in Texas.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 08 Jan 2019, 13:40

Texan wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:
Aussie wrote:

If they can otherwise legally. In Texas, anybody who can legally own a handgun can carry concealed in their car. Uber drivers use their own car. If passengers can be armed, why not drivers? Don’t carjack in Texas.

Lol, so what about taxi drivers?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 08 Jan 2019, 16:40

Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Lol, so what about taxi drivers?

I guess if they own their own taxi, they can do what they want. If it's company owned, they will probably not allow guns in their cars for insurance purposes.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 08 Jan 2019, 17:07

Clearly the way Taxis are set up here and in Texas is very different.
Aussie

Postby Dax » 08 Jan 2019, 17:21

Clearly everything in Texas is massively different to Aus, Texas can be pretty bizarre. Most of the time you think you're in the wild west, they are proud to have guns hanging of their hips, behind their backs, shoulder and belt holsters. They even carry rifles and ar15's down the street.

From my experiences, most of the hospitality and delivery workers, only get paid tips, that's why it is mandatory to tip and that goes for taxi's I've been in and lots of cabbies were visibly armed. The pay is so low in the USA for the majority, they work and survive on hand outs they call tips for service. Never used uber, not into multinationals taking over everything.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 08 Jan 2019, 17:58

Never used uber, not into multinationals taking over everything.

You get a tick from me...and pretty soon, both the Qld Government and Uber are about to get a lethal legal rocket up their clackers.
Aussie

Postby Dax » 09 Jan 2019, 04:33

Aussie wrote:
Never used uber, not into multinationals taking over everything.

You get a tick from me...and pretty soon, both the Qld Government and Uber are about to get a lethal legal rocket up their clackers.

This is what Uber is like in the USA, when it comes to guns.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... 30c05be3a6

"A US Uber driver is facing life in prison after admitting to slaughtering six strangers in a surprise confession on Monday, right before a jury was set to be chosen for his trial.

Jason Dalton pleaded guilty to going on a 2016 shooting spree in Michigan, which saw him kill six people and injure two others, between transporting passengers through the rideshare app."
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Texan » 09 Jan 2019, 06:19

Dax wrote:Clearly everything in Texas is massively different to Aus, Texas can be pretty bizarre. Most of the time you think you're in the wild west, they are proud to have guns hanging of their hips, behind their backs, shoulder and belt holsters. They even carry rifles and ar15's down the street.

From my experiences, most of the hospitality and delivery workers, only get paid tips, that's why it is mandatory to tip and that goes for taxi's I've been in and lots of cabbies were visibly armed. The pay is so low in the USA for the majority, they work and survive on hand outs they call tips for service. Never used uber, not into multinationals taking over everything.

Outside of gun shows, gun ranges, or hunting, I've seen less than a dozen open carried guns in my life in Texas. Any cabbie you saw visibly armed in Texas before 1/1/2017 was breaking the law as open carry was illegal until then and only legal for those with a License To Carry. Even then, the cab company surely does not allow their employees to open carry in the cab. About a year ago, an Uber driver used his gun to stop a shooting. I think it was in Chicago of all places. Chicago is just beginning to have a few people carry there. You can find whatever you want in relation to guns. We have criminals, heroes, and everything between.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html

Yep, servers make a little more than $2/hour and depend on tips. The recommended tip is 20% of the bill. A competent server can make very good money in most restaurants, but they had better not ignore their customers. Most servers are either working their way through college or are not very ambitious. Servers in expensive restaurants can do very well, but competition for those jobs is great.

In Texas, every demographic Ubers. I know 3 people who drive in their spare time. They are all well educated, English speaking Americans, but then the vast majority of my friends are. I have a few foreign national friends who are here legally. Most are plant engineers at some of my work sites or they attend my church. Uber is strictly capitalist here and voluntary on the part of the driver and the passenger.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Next

Return to Politics