I'm going to Europe!

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: I'm going to Europe!

Postby johnsmith » 12 Jan 2019, 18:16

greggerypeccary wrote:Some of the Gladiators are very dodgy.

I've seen them not give cameras back if they don't get enough money.

always negotiate the amount before giving them your camera.

If they don't give it back, call the cops. That definitely is illegal, even in Italy

greggerypeccary wrote:And the flower sellers at the Spanish Steps are sleazy pricks.

I don't recall them approaching me there. Only at restaurants while dining. I've always just said no straight up ... and if they leave the flowers on the table, don't touch them. If they see you thinking about it, they'll hound you.

for me the worst were the beggers on the trains. Gypsies. Un bloody believable. I had one come in one end of the carriage, she gave some long winded speech about her sick daughter (a toddler she had in her arms at the time) and needing some spare change etc

as soon as she hit the door at the end of the carriage, another gypsy walks in from the other end ... with exactly the same sob story and another child in her arms ... word for word. This went on for at least 6 gypsies, one after the other ... a friggen production line of them, all with exactly the same story. The must read a script or something.

I was tempted to give the first one something because I felt sorry for the kid, but I only had $50 Euro notes on me at the time. By the time the 6th one came through, I was glad I hadn't.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby Lols » 12 Jan 2019, 23:03

Mr. Smith, when we went to Rome, it was 1991, maybe things have changed re: the Gladiators legally since then? I saw the police pull up, and they all ran away back then.

But I do have a couple good photos with the gladiators before that happened!

Yes I would do it again, I would have photos with them, after all, it's a lot of effort on their part to dress up and entertain us with the photo opportunity. I didn't know it back then and was a bit shocked when they held my camera and asked for money in return. No one warned me about it at the time, all I was warned about was to beware of pick pockets.

Another weird thing happened, on the bus, doing a day tour, and it rained, started pouring! We were on the way to that Trevi Fountain....and out of nowhere, in the middle of the rain, came all these Indian looking lads with umbrellas!

Yeah I did buy one!

Then, as soon as the sun came out, they all went pffftt…..just disappeared! I looked around and thought...where are they, where did they go?

Came out of nowhere, and disappeared at the blink of the sunlight!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jan 2019, 07:19

yup sometimes u just have to go along with a con to see what happens... so far I've really only been to Bangkok for 3 weeks , the other overseas trip to USA and family.
I went along with obvious scams and over there even if u get ripped off, its only by their standards and not ours ( pay $20 aussie dollars for a trip instead of $5) I watched lots of youtube on scams in Thailand so I was on guard :). I figure with only a few dollars on my self and no credit cards see where these guys will take us with a tuk tuk…. I saw it as entertainment :purple :purple
Having said that though i think u could drop money on the ground in 99% of Bangkok and someone would stop u and give it back ( i constanly gave the wrong notes when buying stuff and was even chased to give me back my money) The only dodgy spots where the tourist area's.
:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 13 Jan 2019, 08:45

DonDeeHippy wrote:The only dodgy spots where the tourist area's.

That's typical in most countries.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 13 Jan 2019, 14:58

Just go............. :jump no one bloody cares about bloody Europe!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2019, 15:23

I do!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Jan 2019, 15:26

HBS Guy wrote:I do!

So do I.

Wonderful place.

I was there just 4 months ago, but all this talk has me looking at airfares again.

Might go back to Austria, Italy, and Slovenia for a couple of weeks.
Last edited by greggerypeccary on 13 Jan 2019, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2019, 15:30

LOVE to visit the Uffizi gallery again, sit by the Grand Canal in Venice eating lobster, listen to a Mozart of Beethoven opera in the Vienna Staats Oper, etc. Walk in the Vienna Woods etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Jan 2019, 15:49

HBS Guy wrote:LOVE to visit the Uffizi gallery again, sit by the Grand Canal in Venice eating lobster, listen to a Mozart of Beethoven opera in the Vienna Staats Oper, etc. Walk in the Vienna Woods etc.

Yes, I've done that.

It's so good.

I think I told this story before, but when I first went for a walk in the Austrian woods I came across all these big red toadstools with white spots on them.

And there were deer running across the track in front of me.

I thought I was in some sort of fairy tale.

I love the border of Austria and Slovenia - there's a mountain park I go to there that's just wonderful.

The hippies dance there naked at night.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Miranda » 13 Jan 2019, 18:12

'The hippies dance there naked at night.'

:huh :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
Miranda
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 13 Jan 2019, 18:14

Miranda wrote:'The hippies dance there naked at night.'

thats the only reason Greg goes there :giggle
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Jan 2019, 20:23

Miranda wrote:'The hippies dance there naked at night.'

Yeah.

They light a fire, put out some rocks in a circle, and dance around naked.

I like it :)
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2019, 20:55

I didn’t see any deer but did see a red squirrel I had disturbed run up a tree. That was nice. The trees were bare and the ground covered in snow.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Tally » 24 Jan 2019, 17:18

I wish I could afford a Euro holiday. I haven't been since I was 19.
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Previous

Return to Off Topic