Something nice about Donald Trump

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Something nice about Donald Trump

Postby SethBullock » 13 Jan 2019, 18:45

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:And before the mid-Terms?

Before the midterms there were more Republicans. I'm not your secretary. If you want exact numbers, look 'em up.

So....a joint sitting of the House and The Senate would have delivered Donald's wall.....pre mid-Terms.

Presumably. But, as I said, weak, feckless, status quo Republicans, many of whom quietly work against Trump because he is not from the approved Establishment, (the then Speaker of the House, for example) didn't put it in there.

One thing I think you guys should understand is that Trump was not supported by the Washington Republican Establishment when he ran for president. He was supported by rank and file ordinary citizen-Republicans and Independents like myself. The rejection of "status quo Establishment" Republicans for the nomination was a rebellion by the rank and file against the entire Washington Republican Establishment. And so it is unsurprising to me that the Republicans didn't try to push through border barrier funding. As I have said before, the Republicans and Democrats had colluded together for decades, with a wink and a nod, with their various deceptions and hypocrisy, to keep the border open and insecure.

Trump warned them almost a year ago.

His political enemies are not just Democrats.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby SethBullock » 14 Jan 2019, 11:47

He contributes his presidential salary to charities.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 14 Jan 2019, 12:04

SethBullock wrote:He contributes his presidential salary to charities.

Charities?

I thought it went to the Small Business Administration, National Park Service, the U.S. Education Department, the Transportation Department, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

They aren't charities, are they?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 14 Jan 2019, 12:12

greggerypeccary wrote:

Charities?

I thought it went to the Small Business Administration, National Park Service, the U.S. Education Department, the Transportation Department, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Whatever! :grn He donates it!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 14 Jan 2019, 12:29

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Charities?

Petty cash to him. Clive Palmer (also a billionaire) former Aussie politician donated his salary as well. Most here will tell you that Clive is also a grub of a person.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 14 Jan 2019, 12:30

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Charities?

It's just going back to government departments.

Hardly charitable.

Has he ever donated to a charity?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 14 Jan 2019, 12:33

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Charities?

It's just going back to government departments.

Hardly charitable.

Has he ever donated to a charity?

Obama donated more than a million dollars from his salary to charities.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 16 Jan 2019, 07:19

On Monday night, President Donald Trump hosted the Clemson University football team at the White House to celebrate the team's victory in the national college playoffs. Because of the government shutdown, Trump decided to pay, out of pocket, for a boatload worth of fast food to feed the players. And just before the team arrived, this photo was taken.

Asked about the spread, Trump had, well, a lot to say.
"I like it all. I like it all," he began. "It's all good stuff, great American food. And it's going to be very interesting to see at the end of this evening how many are left. Pressed on whether he preferred McDonalds or Wendy's, Trump expounded -- at length:
"If it's American, I like it. It's all American stuff. ... But it's good stuff and we have the national champion team, as you know, Clemson Tigers. And they had a fantastic game against Alabama and they're all here. They're right outside the room and I think we're going to let you see them. But I'll bet you, as much food as we have — we have pizzas, we have 300 hamburgers, many, many french fries, all of our favorite foods. I want to see what's here when we leave, because I don't think it's going to be much. The reason we did this is because of the shutdown. We want to make sure that everything is right, so we sent out, we got this. And we have some wonderful people working in the White House. They helped us out with this."
Twitter went wild. And yes, the photo is amazing. (Please note there is a massive stack of Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. No one eats those. NO ONE.)
Trump tweeted about the spread Tuesday, saying, "Great being with the National Champion Clemson Tigers last night at the White House. Because of the Shutdown I served them massive amounts of Fast Food (I paid), over 1000 hamburgers etc. Within one hour, it was all gone. Great guys and big eaters!"

But there's also something interesting -- and telling -- in the photo. It is, in a word, Trumpian.
I've written before about the oddity of Trump's appeal to the average Joe -- a very wealthy man who has lived in New York City his entire life and whose taste trends toward gold (or at least gold-plated). It seems like a very, very weird fit. Most people don't live and work in a building they own. Or have silk draperies. And wine with their name on it. And, yes, steaks with their name on them.
Part of the answer lies in fast food. Trump loves it. Revels in his love for it. And uses it -- as he did Monday night -- as some sort of stand-in for patriotism or America First-ism or, well, something.
This, from a 2016 New York Times profile on Trump's eating habits -- and how they differed from past presidents -- is instructive on that point:
"In an era of gourmet dining and obsession with healthy ingredients, Mr. Trump is a throwback to an earlier, more carefree time in American eating, when nobody bothered to ask whether the tomatoes were locally grown, and the first lady certainly didn't have a vegetable garden, complete with a bee hive, on the South Lawn of the White House."
And then there's this from a February 2016 CNN town hall:
Anderson Cooper: "I understand that you're a big fast food guy as well, that you actually bring fast food to your plane sometimes. When you roll up at McDonald's, what does Donald Trump order?"
Donald Trump: "The Fish Delight sometimes. [laughter from audience] The Big Macs are great, the Quarter Pounders with cheese."
Fish Delight! (I mean, maybe that explains the overwhelming amount of Filet-O-Fish sandwiches on the table Monday night.)
Trump is best understood as a weird amalgam of high and low American culture. He's rich but says he identifies more with blue-collar workers. He's President of the United States, thanks in large part due to his star turn on a reality TV show where he essentially played himself. And he's a guy who could eat at only Michelin-starred restaurants but, instead, likes fast food better.

Which brings me back to the picture. At first glance, it seems incongruous -- to say the least. Stacks of Quarter Pounders and chicken nuggets flanked by two gold-plated candelabra. Trump, in a formal black winter coat, holding his hands gleefully over the food while Abraham Lincoln's portrait looks on from above.
And it is incongruous. High and low culture smashed together will-nilly, with no seeming sense of how odd it all looks and how different it is from what's come before it. Exactly like Donald Trump.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/15/politics/donald-trump-fast-food-clemson-tigers/index.html
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 16 Jan 2019, 07:19

Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 16 Jan 2019, 07:28

Sprintcyclist wrote:Image

Junk food, junk president, :rofl
Dax
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 08:03

Dax wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:Image

Junk food, junk president, :rofl

Yes :bgrin

He fed athletes junk food.

What a moron.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 04:04

More of a compliment to voters, but Trump gave us the opportunity to tell the Beltway/media Establishment to go to hell.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 17 Jan 2019, 08:15

SethBullock wrote:More of a compliment to voters, but Trump gave us the opportunity to tell the Beltway/media Establishment to go to hell.

yes, I wish Trump was here.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Jan 2019, 08:58

Something nice about Donald Trump:

He can't live forever.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 09:25

greggerypeccary wrote:Something nice about Donald Trump:

He can't live forever.

There were a lot of things I didn't care for about President Obama, but I never wished for his death.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Jan 2019, 09:55

SethBullock wrote:

He can't live forever.

There were a lot of things I didn't care for about President Obama, but I never wished for his death.

Politics aside, Obama is basically a good human being.

Donald Trump - not so much.

I believe that the world will be a much, much better place when Trump is gone.

He contributes nothing positive to the world, and he is one of the worst examples of a human being that I've ever seen.

I'll be celebrating hard on the day of his funeral.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 10:13

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

He can't live forever.

He contributes nothing positive to the world, and he is one of the worst examples of a human being that I've ever seen.

Obama politically weaponized the IRS, FBI, and the Justice Department.

Obama also engaged us in a war of choice against Libya, killing unknown numbers, and he assassinated it head of state. The country is still in a state of disorder, a haven for terrorists.

Then he engaged us in a proxy war against Syria, giving weapons to god knows who, enabling the rise of ISIS, and the death toll in Syria is somewhere around a million and several million displaced. The overall death toll skyrocketed as ISIS swept into Iraq.

Trump is trying to get us OUT of wars in Syria and Afghanistan.

So don't bother telling me what a good human being Obama was.

But he was still our president, and I never wished for his death.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Jan 2019, 10:23

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

He can't live forever.

Obama also engaged us in a war of choice against Libya, killing unknown numbers, and he assassinated it head of state. The country is still in a state of disorder, a haven for terrorists.

Then he engaged us in a proxy war against Syria, giving weapons to god knows who, enabling the rise of ISIS, and the death toll in Syria is somewhere around a million and several million displaced. The overall death toll skyrocketed as ISIS swept into Iraq.

I didn't bring Obama into this - you did.

It's what Trump supporters ALWAYS do when Trump's flaws are highlighted.

"Yeah, well, at least he's not as bad as Clinton/Obama".

It's tiresome :zzzz

Trump is the quintessential oxygen thief.

For his entire life all he has ever done is lie, cheat, and con, with no consideration for the welfare of anyone else.

Now he lies, cheats, and cons, while he spreads bigotry, fear, hatred, and division.

He's a shit stain on the underpants of life, and his death will be widely celebrated long after his bloated orange corpse is thrown into a hole.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 11:27

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

He can't live forever.

For his entire life all he has ever done is lie, cheat, and con, with no consideration for the welfare of anyone else.

Now he lies, cheats, and cons, while he spreads bigotry, fear, hatred, and division.

He's a shit stain on the underpants of life, and his death will be widely celebrated long after his bloated orange corpse is thrown into a hole.

It's "tiresome" to bring up Hillary or Obama because it exposes the double standard, and no one likes to have their double standards exposed.

Trump is far from perfect.

I couldn't stand Hillary. I didn't care for Obama. But in neither case did I ever hope for their deaths.

Do you do that a lot, or just for Trump?

About the only people I've hoped for their death would be terrorists like Osama bin Laden and his ilk.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Jan 2019, 11:31

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

He can't live forever.

It's "tiresome" to bring up Hillary or Obama because it exposes the double standard, and no one likes to have their double standards exposed.

Trump is far from perfect.

I couldn't stand Hillary. I didn't care for Obama. But in neither case did I ever hope for their deaths.

Do you do that a lot, or just for Trump?

About the only people I've hoped for their death would be terrorists like Osama bin Laden and his ilk.

No double standards from me.

As I said, I consider Trump to be one of the worst examples of a human being that I've ever seen.

Pure evil.

It'll be a grand celebration.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 11:45

Greg, I think you've been struck with TDS.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Jan 2019, 12:22

SethBullock wrote:Greg, I think you've been struck with TDS.

What can I say?

I just don't like lying, cheating con men who have no regard for the people they hurt.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 12:39

greggerypeccary wrote:

What can I say?

I just don't like lying, cheating con men who have no regard for the people they hurt.

You've had your say, and I've had mine. I would like to tweak the subject just a bit if I may.

What does it say when 60 million rank and file Republicans turn their collective backs on nice, safe, polite, articulate, Washington Establishment-approved Republicans like Jeb Bush, et al, and instead nominate Trump?

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Jan 2019, 12:55

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

What can I say?

You've had your say, and I've had mine. I would like to tweak the subject just a bit if I may.

What does it say when 60 million rank and file Republicans turn their collective backs on nice, safe, polite, articulate, Washington Establishment-approved Republicans like Jeb Bush, et al, and instead nominate Trump?

It says that Trump is a much better liar.

There you go - I said something nice about him, kind of.

Trump can out lie any politician.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jan 2019, 12:56

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

What can I say?

It says that Trump is a much better liar.

There you go - I said something nice about him, kind of.

Trump can out lie any politician.

I think it says that the electorate was sick and tired of nice, safe, do-nothing politicians, and they had a chance to tell 'em all to go to hell.

SethBullock
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Politics