Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby Squire » 02 Mar 2019, 23:46

It's not over yet as Autumn starts with a heat wave and fires. The bushfire outlook is bad and worsening as the hot weather and lack of rain continues.

Global warming has momentum and it may not be possible to stop it without extraordinary measures like blocking sunlight in space

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/australia-s-hottest-summer-beats-previous-record-by-large-margin-20190301-p5119e.html

[quoteAustralia's hottest summer beats previous record by 'large margin'
Jenny Noyes
By Jenny Noyes
March 1, 2019 — 9.21pm

As Australia welcomes the first day of autumn with a sigh of relief, the summer statistics have arrived from the Bureau of Meteorology confirming suspicions that the country just sweated through its hottest-ever summer.

The national mean temperature for summer smashed the 1961-1990 average by a whopping 2.14 °C, almost a full degree above the previous hottest summer on record (2012-2013), which was 1.28 degrees above the old average.

Mean maximum temperatures for December 2019-February 2019 beat the last summer record by almost one degree.
Mean maximum temperatures for December 2019-February 2019 beat the last summer record by almost one degree. CREDIT:BUREAU OF METEROLOGY

The mean maximum temperature also beat the 2012-2013 mean maximum by a similar margin (2.61 degrees above average compared to 1.64 degrees above).

"It was exceptionally warm across most of the country," the weather bureau's summary states, with NSW, Victoria, Western Australia and the Northern Territory all recording their hottest-ever summer as severe and lengthy heatwaves spread across much of the country in December and January.

Advertisement

RELATED ARTICLE
The only water seen for 185km on the road from Louth to Bourke, NSW. 17th January, 2019. Photo: Kate Geraghty
EXTREME WEATHER
'Dome of hot air': Australia blows away heat records
Add to shortlist
The January heatwave was "unprecedented in scale and duration", the summary states, with new records set for individual daily extremes, hottest monthly averages at individual locations, and longest runs of consecutive warm days.

In Tasmania and South Australia it was the second-hottest summer on record, while in Queensland – which had record-high rainfall and flooding in the north – it came in fourth in terms of heat.

Apart from the north of Queensland where an active monsoon trough, slow-moving low pressure system and severe cyclone Owen caused heavy rainfall and extensive flooding, summer for most of Australia was very dry with "below to very much below average" rainfall.

The prolonged dry resulted in dust storms stretching from the centre of the country to the east coast on several occasions, while Tasmania had the driest summer on record.

The statement notes that the record-hot summer follows a string of warm months and warm seasons for Australia.

"This pattern is consistent with observed climate change," the statement says, which means Australians should expect the mercury to continue to rise and records to continue to break.

"As the State of the Climate 2018 report outlines, Australia has warmed by over one degree since 1910, with most warming occurring since 1950."

"This means that natural climate variability sits on top of this background warming, and temperature records are likely to continue to be broken in the coming years."][/quote]
User avatar
Squire
mountain lion
 
Posts: 815
Joined: 19 Aug 2016, 10:35
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Mar 2019, 11:05

And Booby still believes in his idiotic ice age I suppose?
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51633
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby Bongalong » 03 Mar 2019, 16:04

Landline was talking about the soils being very dry throughout the land... the presenter said he'd never really heard such a bad report after they came back to him after the BOM guy did his bit.

I think on QLD had wetter than normal soils.

I think maybe el nino was a 50% chance..... so the BOM guy seemed quite calm but the presenter seemed quite shocked.

:OMG
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Mar 2019, 19:25

Yeah, still a 50% for an El Nino in our fall or winter.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51633
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby HBS Guy » 02 May 2019, 11:13

Abstract

The last decade has produced record-breaking heat waves in many parts of the world. At the same time, it was globally the warmest since sufficient measurements started in the 19th century. Here we show that, worldwide, the number of local record-breaking monthly temperature extremes is now on average five times larger than expected in a climate with no long-term warming. This implies that on average there is an 80 % chance that a new monthly heat record is due to climatic change. Large regional differences exist in the number of observed records. Summertime records, which are associated with prolonged heat waves, increased by more than a factor of ten in some continental regions including parts of Europe, Africa, southern Asia and Amazonia. Overall, these high record numbers are quantitatively consistent with those expected for the observed climatic warming trend with added stationary white noise. In addition, we find that the observed records cluster both in space and in time. Strong El Niño years see additional records superimposed on the expected long-term rise. Under a medium global warming scenario, by the 2040s we predict the number of monthly heat records globally to be more than 12 times as high as in a climate with no long-term warming.


https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-012-0668-1

This is because AGW has skewed the distributions of temperatures to the hot side.

I will demonstrate based on the Australian temperature distributions, the world wide distributions show the same patterns. I take it we have all heard about the bell curve?

Image


Looking at the maximum temperature distribution we see that the last graph has a lower peak than the 1951-1980 graph. This means the temperatures are less clustered, more spread out. Mostly on the warm side.
The 1951-80 graph is almost symmetrical but look at the later two: there are many more readings falling on temperatures higher than the mean/modal temperature. This “hot tail” is why hot weather is much more common now as described in the abstract I quoted in full.

Even the minimum temperature curves have a bias to the warmer side.

Of course, paid mouthpieces for the fossil fuel industry, like Booby’s love object Dubyne, make much of the cold in parts Canada and CONUS. That is due to AGW and Arctic Amplification of it weakening the Jet Streams and slowing them. A big bow caused Arctic air to move south. As a consequence parts Canada/CONUS cooled—but the Arctic warmed with sea ice now at record lows, lower than at the same time in big El Nino year 2016! No global cooling, see?
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51633
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 May 2019, 09:17

is that from Raw reading or acorn 1 or acorn 2 readings :P
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby Sprintcyclist » 03 May 2019, 09:41

Good, another record broken for us.

Champion, noone can beat us
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 07:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby HBS Guy » 03 May 2019, 15:12

DonDeeHippy wrote:is that from Raw reading or acorn 1 or acorn 2 readings :P


Lee likes to poke fun, doesn’t he? The odd tiny amendment here and there does not invalidate the sweeping increase in temperatures.

If lee was to plot raw temperatures, globally, rather than adjusted—he would see MORE warming, not less, one reason Mr lee will never produce such a graph. Anyway, unadjusted would be useless. If readings were taken at 12noon then the time of readings got moved to 4.00pm you would see an increase in observed temperature.

Lee is shitscared of AGW: anytime anywhere someone talks about CO2 or AGW lee is there to obfuscate and shut down discussion.

If Booby was to ban lee from the Dubyne MRB that MRB would see more discussion. Idiotic Booby thinks lee supports him so lets him shut down discussion all the time. lee knows AGW is the problem, not a fucking ice age, he just cannot bear to have any discussion on AGW.

Effect of temperature adjustments:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51633
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby pinkeye » 03 May 2019, 22:01

what amazes me is people still dispute the concept altogether.

why? :grn

they're going to need someone to come up and slap them with a frozen cod..
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby pinkeye » 03 May 2019, 22:04

I've lost several trees this summer season. The heat.. and the lack of rain has taken a toll. Currently we have been getting some showers, light, off and on. Just enough to keep it green, but not enough to keep essential moisture in the ground for the winter ( normally dry, but who knows.?. :roll )
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby Bongalong » 09 May 2019, 13:29

pinkeye wrote:what amazes me is people still dispute the concept altogether.

why? :grn

they're going to need someone to come up and slap them with a frozen cod..

They actually don't disagree with the concept altogether: they are lying and are just sticking up for their shareholders by continuing businesss as usual for as long as possible. THE SHARE MARKET MAKES IT A LEGAL REQUIREMENT THAT THE SHAREHOLDER BECOMES THE PRIORITY....THAT MEANS EXTERNALITIES MEAN NOTHING UNLESS THE GOVERNMENT INTERVENES IN SUCH A WAY AS TO MAKE IT MEAN SOMETHING- WHICH WOULD RUN COUNTERTHESIS TO THE IDEA THAT THE SHAREHOLDER IS PRIORITY.

Stability is most important when making billion dollar investments so the deniers actually know it's happening but legitimately question the time frame.

Science is chiefly about disproving arguments.... the deniers are actually performing a very important part of the science by making the case as watertight as it can get.

Science has always been political and seeing that politics is all human relations you can't get more political than the business of greasing the wheels of industry and keeping the general population fed and clothed and housed and medically fit.

:Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby pinkeye » 09 May 2019, 20:50

aye but

this is NOT looking at the issues caused by climate change.

Heat is just one, but it is effective in killing off entire species. Because heat = less water.

Our earth survives on water, basically, and the balance is now gone. Less water, more toxicity.

As insect populations die off, especially bees, and also bats and other pollinaters, so the production of food will decrease, even as the demand for food increases and increases, because we cannot regulate our fecundity.

TOO MANY PEOPLE.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby Sprintcyclist » 09 May 2019, 23:26

pinkeye wrote:aye but

this is NOT looking at the issues caused by climate change.

Heat is just one, but it is effective in killing off entire species. Because heat = less water.

Our earth survives on water, basically, and the balance is now gone. Less water, more toxicity.

As insect populations die off, especially bees, and also bats and other pollinaters, so the production of food will decrease, even as the demand for food increases and increases, because we cannot regulate our fecundity.

TOO MANY PEOPLE.


yes,far too many people.
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 07:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby pinkeye » 10 May 2019, 22:06

Sprintcyclist wrote:
pinkeye wrote:aye but

this is NOT looking at the issues caused by climate change.

Heat is just one, but it is effective in killing off entire species. Because heat = less water.

Our earth survives on water, basically, and the balance is now gone. Less water, more toxicity.

As insect populations die off, especially bees, and also bats and other pollinaters, so the production of food will decrease, even as the demand for food increases and increases, because we cannot regulate our fecundity.

TOO MANY PEOPLE.


yes,far too many people.



oUR mOTHER IS IN THE PROCESS OF REDUCING OUR NUMBERS. iTS COMMON SENSE, REALLY.

oops caps locks off :roll
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby Bongalong » 13 May 2019, 18:05

pinkeye wrote:aye but

this is NOT looking at the issues caused by climate change.

Heat is just one, but it is effective in killing off entire species. Because heat = less water.

Our earth survives on water, basically, and the balance is now gone. Less water, more toxicity.

As insect populations die off, especially bees, and also bats and other pollinaters, so the production of food will decrease, even as the demand for food increases and increases, because we cannot regulate our fecundity.

TOO MANY PEOPLE.

-->yes, but rain also falls again so it's not as easy as you say... IT'S CALLED A COMPLEX EQUATION!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby Bongalong » 13 May 2019, 18:09

pinkeye wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
pinkeye wrote:aye but

this is NOT looking at the issues caused by climate change.

Heat is just one, but it is effective in killing off entire species. Because heat = less water.

Our earth survives on water, basically, and the balance is now gone. Less water, more toxicity.

As insect populations die off, especially bees, and also bats and other pollinaters, so the production of food will decrease, even as the demand for food increases and increases, because we cannot regulate our fecundity.

TOO MANY PEOPLE.


yes,far too many people.



oUR mOTHER IS IN THE PROCESS OF REDUCING OUR NUMBERS. iTS COMMON SENSE, REALLY.

oops caps locks off :roll

How is our mother in the process of reducing our numbers?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2088
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Australia's hottest summer beats previous record

Postby HBS Guy » 13 May 2019, 23:18

Cooking them :rofl
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51633
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37


Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron