Brazil: huge rise in Amazon destruction under Bolsonaro

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Brazil: huge rise in Amazon destruction under Bolsonaro

Postby Squire » 30 Jul 2019, 15:29

Deforestation is accelerating under Brazil's Donald Trump, President Jair Bolsonaro.

It is difficult for countries like Australia and European countries to criticize Brazil when Australia and European countries have already committed severe deforestation in their own lands and are doing little to reverse deforestation. In fact, Australia is still permitting deforestation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/03/brazil-amazon-rainforest-deforestation-environment

Brazil: huge rise in Amazon destruction under Bolsonaro, figures show
Monthly deforestation up 88.4% compared with a year ago

Wed 3 Jul 2019 21.42 BST Last modified on Wed 3 Jul 2019 21.55 BST

Bolsonaro’s office declined to comment, saying questions would be addressed by the environment ministry.
President Jair Bolsonaro’s office declined to comment, saying questions would be addressed by the environment ministry. Photograph: Felipe Werneck/AP
Deforestation in Brazil’s portion of the Amazon rainforest rose more than 88% in June compared with the same month a year ago, the second consecutive month of rising forest destruction under the rightwing president Jair Bolsonaro.

According to data from Brazil’s space agency, deforestation in the world’s largest tropical rainforest totaled 920 sq km (355 sq miles).

The data showing the 88.4% deforestation increase is preliminary, but indicates the official annual figure, based on more detailed imaging and measured for the 12 months to the end of July, is well on track to surpass last year’s figure.

In the first 11 months, deforestation has already reached 4,565 sq km (1,762 sq miles), a 15% increase over the same period in the previous year.

Environmentalists have warned that Bolsonaro’s strong support for development in the Amazon and criticism of the country’s environmental enforcement agency for handing out too many fines would embolden loggers and ranchers seeking to profit from deforestation.

'Exterminator of the future': Brazil's Bolsonaro denounced for environmental assault
Read more
“Bolsonaro has aggravated the situation,” said Paulo Barreto, a researcher at Brazilian non-governmental organization Imazon.

The surge in deforestation comes as Brazil faces more pressure to protect its environment under the terms of the free trade deal between the European Union and South American bloc Mercosur agreed to last week.

The rainy season through April appeared to have held off a spike in deforestation that subsequently came with the dry season starting in May.

Deforestation rose 34% in May compared with the same month a year ago.

Bolsonaro’s office declined to comment, saying questions would be addressed by the environment ministry. “We are adopting all measures to combat illegal deforestation,” said the environment minister, Ricardo Salles.

Brazil is home to 60% of the Amazon, which is the world’s largest tropical rainforest and is seen as vital to the global fight against climate change.

While the final text of the EU-Mercosur deal has not been released, an outline from the EU states the agreement includes a provision that the Paris agreement on climate change must be effectively implemented along with other commitments to fight deforestation.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, had warned last week before agreement on the deal that he would not sign off on it if Brazil leaves the Paris accord.

Paulo Adario, a Greenpeace forest strategist, said “all indications” were that deforestation will worsen under Bolsonaro, but he hoped news of a large increase would put pressure on the government to take action.

“When they have the final numbers, if it is really a lot, this will be a nightmare for Bolsonaro,” Adario said. “This is something that is really important from an international and Brazilian point of view because the Amazon is an icon.”
Squire
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: Brazil: huge rise in Amazon destruction under Bolsonaro

Postby Squire » 30 Jul 2019, 15:36

Here is Australia's tawdry record on deforestation. Its still happening:

https://www.wilderness.org.au/news-events/10-facts-about-deforestation-in-australia

NEWS - 18 JANUARY 2018
10 facts about deforestation in Australia

Australia is home to some of the most unique and magnificent nature in the world. Our country has vast savannahs and grasslands, tropical rainforests, endangered gum forests and diverse woodlands that provide shelter to our most precious threatened species.
Yet Australia is one of the worst developed countries in the world for broadscale deforestation— killing tens of millions of native animals (including threatened species) and wiping out endangered forests and woodlands. In fact, we’ve cleared nearly half of our forest cover in the last 200 years!

This is why we need new laws to protect our wildlife and environment:

Around 5,000 square kilometres of virgin bushland and advanced regrowth are destroyed annually. In addition to wiping out native wildlife, it is the major cause of salinity and causes around 14% of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions

Australia has lost 25% rainforest, 45% of open forest, 32% woodland forest and 30% of mallee forest in 200 years

The effect of these changes has been considerable. Around 20% of Australian mammals, 7% of reptiles, 13% of birds are listed as Extinct, Endangered or Vulnerable.

More than 100 species have gone extinct in NSW in the last 200 years

Australia has one of the highest rates of tree clearing of any developed country historically. In the past, we’ve bulldozed more bush each year than poverty-stricken countries like Burma, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and the Congo.

Currently, 1,000 animal and plant species are at risk of extinction—including the koala.

In 2014–15, the woody vegetation clearing rate in Queensland was 296,000* hectares per year (ha/year), similar to the 2013–14 woody vegetation clearing rate of 295,000 and over three and a half times what it was in 2009.4
2009–2010: 83,000 hectares
2010–2011: 92,000 hectares
2011–2012: 155,000 hectares
2012–2013: 261,000 hectares
2013–2014: 295,000 hectares
2014–2015: 296,000 hectares

In New South Wales, the government has followed Queensland's lead by ripping up its native vegetation laws.

Meanwhile in Western Australia and the Northern Territory, plans are afoot for massive destruction in the Kimberley and Keep River regions for industrial agricultural schemes.

Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation could spiral further out of control. In Queensland, New South Wales, Western Australia, the Northern Territory and Victoria, deforestation laws have either been recently weakened or are currently facing rollbacks. Emissions from tree clearing from 2016 to 2030 are projected between 673 and 826 Mt CO²e without substantial policy change. By way of comparison, this is the equivalent of operating at least three to four extra dirty Hazelwood coal-fired power plants for this same period.
¹Forest Network
²Department of Environment, NSW
³Forest Fact Sheet
⁴Queensland Government report

*Deforestation rates are rounded to the nearest 1,000 hectares per year

Help stop Australia becoming a Deforestation Nation

If we want to protect our climate, and the ecosystems that make our lives possible, there’s no role for deforestation in Australia’s future.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Aug 2019, 20:26

What you call a continent-sized fire:

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 22 Aug 2019, 21:23

20% of the worlds oxygen sounds like bullshitt to me!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 22 Aug 2019, 21:54

Squire wrote:Here is Australia's tawdry record on deforestation. Its still happening:

https://www.wilderness.org.au/news-events/10-facts-about-deforestation-in-australia

NEWS - 18 JANUARY 2018
10 facts about deforestation in Australia

Australia is home to some of the most unique and magnificent nature in the world. Our country has vast savannahs and grasslands, tropical rainforests, endangered gum forests and diverse woodlands that provide shelter to our most precious threatened species.
Yet Australia is one of the worst developed countries in the world for broadscale deforestation— killing tens of millions of native animals (including threatened species) and wiping out endangered forests and woodlands. In fact, we’ve cleared nearly half of our forest cover in the last 200 years!

This is why we need new laws to protect our wildlife and environment:

Around 5,000 square kilometres of virgin bushland and advanced regrowth are destroyed annually. In addition to wiping out native wildlife, it is the major cause of salinity and causes around 14% of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions

Australia has lost 25% rainforest, 45% of open forest, 32% woodland forest and 30% of mallee forest in 200 years

The effect of these changes has been considerable. Around 20% of Australian mammals, 7% of reptiles, 13% of birds are listed as Extinct, Endangered or Vulnerable.

More than 100 species have gone extinct in NSW in the last 200 years

Australia has one of the highest rates of tree clearing of any developed country historically. In the past, we’ve bulldozed more bush each year than poverty-stricken countries like Burma, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and the Congo.

Currently, 1,000 animal and plant species are at risk of extinction—including the koala.

In 2014–15, the woody vegetation clearing rate in Queensland was 296,000* hectares per year (ha/year), similar to the 2013–14 woody vegetation clearing rate of 295,000 and over three and a half times what it was in 2009.4
2009–2010: 83,000 hectares
2010–2011: 92,000 hectares
2011–2012: 155,000 hectares
2012–2013: 261,000 hectares
2013–2014: 295,000 hectares
2014–2015: 296,000 hectares

In New South Wales, the government has followed Queensland's lead by ripping up its native vegetation laws.

Meanwhile in Western Australia and the Northern Territory, plans are afoot for massive destruction in the Kimberley and Keep River regions for industrial agricultural schemes.

Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation could spiral further out of control. In Queensland, New South Wales, Western Australia, the Northern Territory and Victoria, deforestation laws have either been recently weakened or are currently facing rollbacks. Emissions from tree clearing from 2016 to 2030 are projected between 673 and 826 Mt CO²e without substantial policy change. By way of comparison, this is the equivalent of operating at least three to four extra dirty Hazelwood coal-fired power plants for this same period.
¹Forest Network
²Department of Environment, NSW
³Forest Fact Sheet
⁴Queensland Government report

*Deforestation rates are rounded to the nearest 1,000 hectares per year

Help stop Australia becoming a Deforestation Nation

If we want to protect our climate, and the ecosystems that make our lives possible, there’s no role for deforestation in Australia’s future.

THIS IS the future
Sorry
Greed and wealth
mean more
than life itself.

:sad :sad :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Aug 2019, 21:57

Nothing we can do so don’t fret about it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 22 Aug 2019, 22:23

its hard to see
the reality
look after your
part of the world.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Aug 2019, 22:32

I talked to a guy on Twitter in a longish series of messages, like PMs here. He was getting depressed. Told him we all die some time, npot to let it get him down because that doesn’t change the situation. He does seem more perky. Worrying is pointless because you can’t change the future. Worrying is different from planning, it just takes over your life to no avail at all.

If I had not learned that in Business Communications (sociology) when my business partner left leaving nearly $150K debt I would have had a nervous breakdown instead of steering the business through all that. Helped with some tactics too!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 23 Aug 2019, 00:20

I was talking about all this .. with my shrink recently.

He said I was experiencing what the Germans called …. :roll oh dear.. it wasn't the usual german words we use for existential discussion.. but he said it meant feeling the pain of the world... something … .. angsvelt..?? sigh..

But I said well, maybe Doc in the past it may 've been something like that, But NOW :roll :bgrin I'm just into feeling my own pain. :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 23 Aug 2019, 02:45

pinkeye wrote:its hard to see
the reality
look after your
part of the world.

Was that Haiku?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 23 Aug 2019, 03:35

I don't know
I wouldn't think it warranted that term but

I really like the parameters of 17 syllables.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes I blow it.

They just seem to happen and I enjoy writing them ..
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 23 Aug 2019, 11:10

pinkeye wrote:I don't know
I wouldn't think it warranted that term but

I really like the parameters of 17 syllables.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes I blow it.

They just seem to happen and I enjoy writing them ..

Apparently it doesn't have to be exact: so, yeh, I would say it is! It sounded good :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Miranda » 23 Aug 2019, 11:29

This, is sort of. related...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... absolutely

The "Lungs Of The Earth" Are Being Burned Away As Unprecedented Wildfires Absolutely Ravage The Planet

I recommend to click the link
Miranda
Pitbull terrier

Postby Squire » 23 Aug 2019, 13:53

Bolsanaro is trying to evade the blame for the fires he allowed and which were started by his financial supporters.

Brazil's Trump is just as corrupt as USA's Trump.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 01 Sep 2019, 00:33

I do admit to despair.

I don't watch the News much anymore.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Squire » 01 Sep 2019, 08:54

pinkeye wrote:I do admit to despair.

I don't watch the News much anymore.

It's disgusting how self-serving many world leaders are.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Sep 2019, 10:54

Man, the only animal that shits in its own nest.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 02 Sep 2019, 09:26

HBS Guy wrote:Man, the only animal that shits in its own nest.

Where do pigs shit?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Sep 2019, 16:06

Not in their own nest if they are given the ability to move out of their “nest” before excreting.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Sep 2019, 19:00

Bongalong wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Man, the only animal that shits in its own nest.

Where do pigs shit?

pigs, left to their own devices are some of the cleanest animals on the planet. Don't mistake their like of mud baths for being dirty. Mud baths are good for their complexion, protect them from sunburn and keep the flies away. Some women pay fortune for mud masks.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 02 Sep 2019, 19:11

Then I digress.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2019, 08:05

Illegal loggers often kill people indigenous to the area: one “Guardian of the Forest” was shot in the face and died.

Had the story ready to post—congested wifi here in Clare caravan park lost it. The internet ate my homework.

OK, here is the link, will do more late this afternoon when I return from a lovely lunch at a winery.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market