11,000 scientists declare “Climate Emergency”

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

11,000 scientists declare “Climate Emergency”

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2019, 08:14

But now 11,000 people who might know one or two more facts than a bubble of politicians have confirmed it is, indeed, happening: the whole world is in the midst of a climate emergency.

And they believe the threats are accelerating faster than previously expected.

Pointing to their “moral obligation” to share knowledge of impending danger, scientists from 153 countries – Australia included – on Wednesday morning released a declaration of a climate crisis they said would lead to “untold suffering”.

They have called on governments to cut pollution, introduce carbon taxes and stop giving a helping hand to the fossil fuel industry.

Individuals and families are also told to take responsibility: regularly eating meat, and an obsession with cash and flash fashion, are among the factors scientists have flagged as contributing to the planet’s demise.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/11/06/climate-emergency-scientists/

This “regularly eating meat” thing is mostly bullshit. Raising animals uses a lot of water—but it is all rainfall. Because of Mum’s dementia we eat mostly chicken and fish, the odd vegetarian meal (omelette + green salad) and to save money for my house that will continue for a few years. Cows belch methane, that can be reduced by science-enzymes, genetics. But everything we do each day emits GHGs.

Then the article says:
free up agricultural lands for growing human food rather than livestock feed.

Bullshit. Pastures for cattle are not suitable for growing crops.

Concentrating on this bullshit will just make people ignore the rest of the declaration of Climate Emergency.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: 11,000 scientists declare “Climate Emergency” cro

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Nov 2019, 04:51

Grass feed livestock are fine, but most meat now is in feed lots and that takes crop lands away from human consumption.... let our animals run free in paddocks and stop feed lots... free range all the way baby...
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: 11,000 scientists declare “Climate Emergency”

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2019, 06:34

On the (now) rare occasions I eat steak etc—grassfed is the go. Pasture raised heritage breed pork etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Nov 2019, 05:25

https://www.kinderhookfarm.com/

With over 1,000 acres of rolling hay meadows and pastures, we raise our cattle and sheep on a 100% grass and legume diet that includes no grain, antibiotics, growth hormones or animal by-products.
In addition to beef and lamb, we raise pastured broiler chickens and gather eggs from our pastured laying hens. We’ve recently added heritage breed pigs and an apiary to the farm.
Our animals live out on the pastures of our farm, grazing the forages growing in the fields. During the summer we harvest hay and feed it to the cattle and sheep in the winter. The animal wastes return to the land and become nutrients for the next grass cycle.

I read about this farm years ago , they let the cows go in a pasture first, then the sheep eat what the cows don't next, then the chickens go to the pasture and go through the manure and spread it, eat the parasitic bugs and complete the cycle....

A great book about mass farming and feed lots is Farmagetton and it's a good read.... You should try to find it Monk :bgrin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmageddon_(book)

Intensification in animal farming goes along with a growing demand of cropland to grow animal feed – factory farming is thus not a means to save space.[1][2] They argue consequently that to feed the world population factory farming is not the solution but a threat, not least since more than a third of the world's arable harvests are being used to supply farmed animals.[3] According to the book the consumer price of cheap meat does not include the overall costs of industrial meat production.[4]

https://www.amazon.com/Farmageddon-True ... 1408846446
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2019, 08:32

Bought the Kindle version.

Kindle is not ideal—but you can pack a lot of books into your laptop!

Hmmm wonder if there are Kindle versions of some gardening/orcharding books I have—great for taking to Tassie!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Nov 2019, 22:40

Intensive farming is always a concern to me/ altho I've been a meat-eater all my life I am using less and less red meat. Much more fish and shellfish, albeit store-bought, and more pasta, tomato chilli-based sauces, and herbs from my garden.

I don't think the industry of intensive farming has much future, because we are facing unsolvable environmental issues, like water, heat, and fire.
I expect that most of rural Australian meat-producers are going to become less and less viable, as a profitable business, and I expect vast swaths of this country to become useless for the purpose. No fodder..? have to buy it in for all the years conceivably ahead .. not profitable.

Perhaps it's better to eat CAMEL? RABBIT ? GOAT? Feral Pig?...………. Horse?

HORSE.. already a huge burgeoning market.
:sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Nov 2019, 04:44

HBS Guy wrote:Bought the Kindle version.

Kindle is not ideal—but you can pack a lot of books into your laptop!

Hmmm wonder if there are Kindle versions of some gardening/orcharding books I have—great for taking to Tassie!

yeah I have the kindle version as well, I really like using my ipad as a book, I like to read to go to sleep and with the ipad at night the screen goes black and the text is white and I can read without the light and not bother her.
I actually found the book by accident, I was told to read a book called pharmagetton (good book too and how big pharmacy works) and I loaded farmagetton instead :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Nov 2019, 04:49

pinkeye wrote:Intensive farming is always a concern to me/ altho I've been a meat-eater all my life I am using less and less red meat. Much more fish and shellfish, albeit store-bought, and more pasta, tomato chilli-based sauces, and herbs from my garden.

I don't think the industry of intensive farming has much future, because we are facing unsolvable environmental issues, like water, heat, and fire.
I expect that most of rural Australian meat-producers are going to become less and less viable, as a profitable business, and I expect vast swaths of this country to become useless for the purpose. No fodder..? have to buy it in for all the years conceivably ahead .. not profitable.

Perhaps it's better to eat CAMEL? RABBIT ? GOAT? Feral Pig?...………. Horse?

HORSE.. already a huge burgeoning market.
:sad

yup if the French had colonized Le Australia !!! I'm sure we would be eating native and feral here....

We have to go back to diversity and stop trying to change the land , work and enhance what is there, just one crop or herd , clearing vast tracks of land is just bad management..... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Nov 2019, 07:37

Not so much anymore, having shifted mostly to white meat, but I ate a lot of feral meat, pig/goat/camel.

Have eaten ’roo and emu, never that much.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market