Scomo pledges to outlaw climate boycotts

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Scomo pledges to outlaw climate boycotts

Postby mothra » 21 Nov 2019, 12:57

Australia’s prime minister pledges to outlaw climate boycotts, arguing they threaten the economy

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison railed against environmental protesters in a lunchtime speech on Friday, warning of a “new breed of radical activism” that was “apocalyptic in tone” and pledging to outlaw boycott campaigns that he argued could hurt the country’s mining industry.

The remarks were made to an audience at the Queensland Resources Council, an organization that represents peak mining interests in the northeastern Australian state. The proposed limits on protest quickly drew condemnation from human rights groups and activists.

“From ending slavery to stopping apartheid, boycott campaigns have played a critical role in achieving many social advances that we now take for granted,” Hugh de Kretser, executive director of the Human Rights Law Center, said in a statement.

Morrison, an evangelical Christian and a vocal supporter of President Trump, finds himself aligned with the U.S. leader on support for the coal industry. Australia is one of the largest coal producers on earth, with the industry supplying roughly 50,000 jobs but disproportionately responsible for greenhouse gas emissions.

During his speech, Morrison said his government was looking at “serious mechanisms that can successfully outlaw these indulgent and selfish practices that threaten the livelihoods of fellow Australians.” He argued that the “right to protest does not mean there is an unlimited license to disrupt people’s lives and disrespect your fellow Australians.”

Businesses linked to climate change were being refused banking, insurance and consulting services, Morrison said, due to the demands of activists. “I think some of our largest corporations should listen to and engage to their quiet shareholders, not just the noisy ones,” he said.

The Australian prime minister’s remarks took aim at secondary boycotts, in particular the boycotts that target firms that work with the Adani company in opening a controversial new mine in Queensland. In an interview with 3AW radio on Friday, Morrison said that secondary boycotts were “targeting decent small businesses who are providing services to the mining industry.”

“They’re being black-banned, and they’re being harassed,” Morrison said. “And this is not something that any Australian should have to put up with.”

Morrison told 3AW that he was considering whether secondary boycotts for environmental reasons could be made illegal. Australia, like the United States, already has laws that ban secondary boycotts run by labor unions. “It’s not okay for environmental . . . well, they’re not environmental, they’re activist groups. That’s what they are,” Morrison said.

Over the past year, there has been a surge in environmental demonstrations all around the world, including the “Extinction Rebellion” protests. Last month, millions of people in all corners of the globe took part in a youth-led protest movement to demand that governments do more to combat climate change. Just last week, there were violent clashes outside a coal conference in Melbourne.

Boycotts of businesses are one of many tactics used in the environmental movement. Prominent figures such as South Africa’s Archbishop Desmond Tutu are among those who have urged consumers to stop giving money to companies that contribute to climate change.

But Morrison’s surprise victory in Australia’s general election in May shows support for anti-activist policies, too. The incumbent prime minister, dogged by controversy and poor polling numbers, managed to cling to power, in part by portraying himself as a pro-business, center-right ally of Australia’s coal industry.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten, tapped as the likely winner in the election, had proposed that Australia move away from exploiting its large coal reserves and instead take steps to generate half of its electricity from solar, wind and other renewable sources by 2030. The move appeared to backfire electorally — especially in Queensland, where voters swung to the government in large numbers.

“I hear a lot about progressivism at the moment,” Morrison said in his speech. The word sounds lovely and “gives you a warm glow,” he added.

“I will tell you what it means,” the prime minister continued. “Those who claim the title want to tell you where to live, what job you can have, what you can say and what you can think — and tax you more for the privilege of all of those instructions that are directed to you.”

https://www-washingtonpost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/11/01/australias-prime-minister-pledges-outlaw-climate-boycotts-arguing-they-threaten-economy/?outputType=amp&fbclid=IwAR3TKH1LOc4iEssuzTZFqFLn8iU3WZvYAdvMAl8RHRORhDlVMJcSPCSRUqQ
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Scomo pledges to outlaw climate boycotts

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Nov 2019, 15:33

Always some want to hold back the tide.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 21 Nov 2019, 19:43

morrison's a fuckwit

what the hell did we do to deserve that moron?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Roxanna » 22 Nov 2019, 16:25

johnsmith wrote:morrison's a fuckwit

Voted for him. :nah
Roxanna
Kitten

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Nov 2019, 16:52

Not me!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 22 Nov 2019, 18:01

Roxanna wrote:

Voted for him. :nah

not me
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 24 Nov 2019, 08:25

We voted in Abbott!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 24 Nov 2019, 09:11

Bongalong wrote:

We voted in Abbott!

you fool :smack
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 24 Nov 2019, 23:48

Bongalong wrote:

We voted in Abbott!

Another failure of the political process the Australian public should rightly be ashamed of.

Morrison is more of the same, only worse. !

Australians are obviously masochists who suffer from some sort of inferiority complex.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 25 Nov 2019, 00:06

mothra wrote:Australia’s prime minister pledges to outlaw climate boycotts, arguing they threaten the economy

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison railed against environmental protesters in a lunchtime speech on Friday, warning of a “new breed of radical activism” that was “apocalyptic in tone” and pledging to outlaw boycott campaigns that he argued could hurt the country’s mining industry.

The remarks were made to an audience at the Queensland Resources Council, an organization that represents peak mining interests in the northeastern Australian state. The proposed limits on protest quickly drew condemnation from human rights groups and activists.

“From ending slavery to stopping apartheid, boycott campaigns have played a critical role in achieving many social advances that we now take for granted,” Hugh de Kretser, executive director of the Human Rights Law Center, said in a statement.

Morrison, an evangelical Christian and a vocal supporter of President Trump, finds himself aligned with the U.S. leader on support for the coal industry. Australia is one of the largest coal producers on earth, with the industry supplying roughly 50,000 jobs but disproportionately responsible for greenhouse gas emissions.

During his speech, Morrison said his government was looking at “serious mechanisms that can successfully outlaw these indulgent and selfish practices that threaten the livelihoods of fellow Australians.” He argued that the “right to protest does not mean there is an unlimited license to disrupt people’s lives and disrespect your fellow Australians.”

Businesses linked to climate change were being refused banking, insurance and consulting services, Morrison said, due to the demands of activists. “I think some of our largest corporations should listen to and engage to their quiet shareholders, not just the noisy ones,” he said.

The Australian prime minister’s remarks took aim at secondary boycotts, in particular the boycotts that target firms that work with the Adani company in opening a controversial new mine in Queensland. In an interview with 3AW radio on Friday, Morrison said that secondary boycotts were “targeting decent small businesses who are providing services to the mining industry.”

“They’re being black-banned, and they’re being harassed,” Morrison said. “And this is not something that any Australian should have to put up with.”

Morrison told 3AW that he was considering whether secondary boycotts for environmental reasons could be made illegal. Australia, like the United States, already has laws that ban secondary boycotts run by labor unions. “It’s not okay for environmental . . . well, they’re not environmental, they’re activist groups. That’s what they are,” Morrison said.

Over the past year, there has been a surge in environmental demonstrations all around the world, including the “Extinction Rebellion” protests. Last month, millions of people in all corners of the globe took part in a youth-led protest movement to demand that governments do more to combat climate change. Just last week, there were violent clashes outside a coal conference in Melbourne.

Boycotts of businesses are one of many tactics used in the environmental movement. Prominent figures such as South Africa’s Archbishop Desmond Tutu are among those who have urged consumers to stop giving money to companies that contribute to climate change.

But Morrison’s surprise victory in Australia’s general election in May shows support for anti-activist policies, too. The incumbent prime minister, dogged by controversy and poor polling numbers, managed to cling to power, in part by portraying himself as a pro-business, center-right ally of Australia’s coal industry.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten, tapped as the likely winner in the election, had proposed that Australia move away from exploiting its large coal reserves and instead take steps to generate half of its electricity from solar, wind and other renewable sources by 2030. The move appeared to backfire electorally — especially in Queensland, where voters swung to the government in large numbers.

“I hear a lot about progressivism at the moment,” Morrison said in his speech. The word sounds lovely and “gives you a warm glow,” he added.

“I will tell you what it means,” the prime minister continued. “Those who claim the title want to tell you where to live, what job you can have, what you can say and what you can think — and tax you more for the privilege of all of those instructions that are directed to you.”

https://www-washingtonpost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/11/01/australias-prime-minister-pledges-outlaw-climate-boycotts-arguing-they-threaten-economy/?outputType=amp&fbclid=IwAR3TKH1LOc4iEssuzTZFqFLn8iU3WZvYAdvMAl8RHRORhDlVMJcSPCSRUqQ

Ooh I despise him. Look at that attempt to control what you do.. .who you choose to support with your custom.. .. and yet,, HE claims the HIGH GROUND. ??

He is seriously deluded, but unfortunately, so are his supporters.

This is the TWILIGHT ZONE.

do do do , do... do do do, do... A Christian cult leader now runs Australia. Believe it.

Even the yanks aren't THAT stupid. They've just gone for your average billionaire-criminal... :rofl
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 26 Nov 2019, 17:50

pinkeye wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

We voted in Abbott!
Another failure of the political process the Australian public should rightly be ashamed of.

Morrison is more of the same, only worse. !

Australians are obviously masochists who suffer from some sort of inferiority complex.
Simply, the alternative was worse.

For a starter, Shithead, divided the retiree voters between the wealth property owners who received the pension and were still entitled to the franking credit.

I’m pleased that the current productive community is looking at retiree funding, and still talking about including the value of the house as an asset for pension entitlement. Even thou Scomo claim the home will not be considered as part of the asset test.

If Shorten stuck to his original intention of no cash refund for pensioners who didn’t pay any tax, his chance of being elected would have greatly improved.

Chuck
Chuck
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 26 Nov 2019, 21:22

What was , is now irrelevant.

Labor brought policies that were seriously mis-represented in the Press. That is all there is to say on THAT subject...…

BUT
Morrison's hunting down of any dissenters to his policies is a very scary proposition. His absolutism is unchallengeable, apparently, as no one can get him to answer any question. He just bull=dozers over anyone who seeks answers... a bit like Trump. :stop :sad

It doesn't seem to matter that the economy is in the doldrums, and people are homeless.. no.. what is important to them is a budget surplus!! WHY? Is there some mysterious prize that gets awarded..? Like lots of votes.? :WTF

These people live in their own fantasies.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DreamRyderX » 28 Nov 2019, 17:17

...........God Bless Scott Morrison............ God Bless Australia............

...........................................................Image
.........................................................Law Abiding, Hard Working Australians First....
........................................Not at the Mercy of Worthless Malcontents!

Never water yerself down just because someone might not be able ta handle ya at "190 Proof"
DreamRyderX
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 29 Nov 2019, 23:56

God doesn't exist.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DreamRyderX » 02 Dec 2019, 09:22

pinkeye wrote:God doesn't exist.

Your personal opinion......a minority opinion BTW.......but an opinion valid to those that believe in it nevertheless......when the time comes, I wish for you to completely enjoy your big.....empty.....lifeless......dark.......nothing, & if you're wrong, as I believe you will be, I hope it doesn't disappoint you too, too much......
Now, if you're 100% correct, & there is no God, nobody will ever know I was wrong....not even me....not even you....it will all be nothing.
ImageImage
Last edited by DreamRyderX on 02 Dec 2019, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Never water yerself down just because someone might not be able ta handle ya at "190 Proof"
DreamRyderX
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2019, 09:31

Not a minority opinion in Australia. No one alive has ever seen god or an angel or demon so case closed on gawd.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DreamRyderX » 02 Dec 2019, 10:04

HBS Guy wrote:Not a minority opinion in Australia. No one alive has ever seen god or an angel or demon so case closed on gawd.

Unfortunately, or should I say fortunately, for you......but please don't despair too, too much...... Image

Source: Wikipedia

Irreligion in Australia

.......68% of Australians believe in God and/or a "Universal Spirit", while 24% believe in neither.........

.............Image

Also See: https://web.archive.org/web/20170710020910/http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/2071.0~2016~Main%20Features~Religion%20Data%20Summary~25

HBS....May Australia's 'God' lift up your heart.....BTW.....If it makes you feel better.....You don't need to believe.....God's existence doesn't rely on you one way or the other. Image

DreamRyderX
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2019, 14:31

There is no gawd.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Dec 2019, 17:40

DreamRyderX wrote:Unfortunately, or should I say fortunately, for you......but please don't despair too, too much...... Image

census? the question asked was what religion am I. Being born catholic, i answered catholic.

However I am not a practicing catholic nor do I believe in god.

A 2011 report by the American Physical Society claimed that religion may die out in Australia and eight other Western world countries. According to NORC of Chicago, 20.6% of Australians don't believe in God and never have, while 9.7% are "strong atheists".
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2019, 20:23

Last census was like 22% actual christians IIRC.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 03 Dec 2019, 00:13

Yeah.. I don't believe Christians outnumber 'others' in Australia.. today.
DreamRyderX wrote:

Your personal opinion......a minority opinion BTW.......but an opinion valid to those that believe in it nevertheless......when the time comes, I wish for you to completely enjoy your big.....empty.....lifeless......dark.......nothing, & if you're wrong, as I believe you will be, I hope it doesn't disappoint you too, too much......
Now, if you're 100% correct, & there is no God, nobody will ever know I was wrong....not even me....not even you....it will all be nothing.
ImageImage

Ahhhhhh now you start to understand.

It IS all for nothing , as you put it.
Why you think some deity gives a fuck about you is beyond me though. Brainwashed as a baby >?? :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Dec 2019, 05:54

DreamRyderX wrote:

[size=120][i]Your personal opinion......a minority opinion BTW.......but an opinion valid to those that believe in it nevertheless......when the time comes, I wish for you to completely enjoy your big.....empty.....lifeless......dark.......nothing, & if you're wrong, as I believe you will be, I hope it doesn't disappoint you too, too much......

Don't you love the Compassion coming from Ryder, you can see Jesus has really rubbed off on him..... :grn
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2019, 06:40

Yeah—and nobody has seen god or an angel or a demon so their non-existence can be taken as fact.

Do without religion and the world will be rather less fucked up than now.

I doubt there are more than 15% practicing christians—i.e. ones that go to church on Sunday (or Saturday for Jews, whatever. The percentage of people that live christian lives, 1%?

There are some churches doing well—Hillsong etc—but you wonder whether the people go there for the spectacle or other non-religious reasons? To fill some void in their life?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 03 Dec 2019, 23:47

johnsmith wrote:
DreamRyderX wrote:Unfortunately, or should I say fortunately, for you......but please don't despair too, too much...... Image

census? the question asked was what religion am I. Being born catholic, i answered catholic.

However I am not a practicing catholic nor do I believe in god.

A 2011 report by the American Physical Society claimed that religion may die out in Australia and eight other Western world countries. According to NORC of Chicago, 20.6% of Australians don't believe in God and never have, while 9.7% are "strong atheists".

You really should have answered more honestly John.
I doubt you are alone though.

The Census questions are about THAT DAY. You answered dishonestly. I wonder why.

Does religion hold such a powerful grip on people, that even after years of adulthood, in which they acknowledge they don't believe, their sense of guilt at their denial of the Church leads then to identify as Catholic in a CENSUS.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Dec 2019, 02:12

If you are a lapsed Catholic then you are not a Catholic any longer.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Politics