Unimpeachable Trump

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Unimpeachable Trump

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Nov 2019, 12:46

greggerypeccary
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 27 Nov 2019, 12:52

SethBullock wrote:“President Donald Trump is donating his third-quarter salary to help tackle the nation’s opioid epidemic. A White House official says Trump has given the $100,000 he would be paid in the quarter to the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Health,” Zeke Miller writes for The Associated Press.

We have recently had a Politician here doing the same. He was a grub before he became a Politician, he was a grub when he was one (and was donating his salary...peanuts for him a billionaire) and he is still a grub now he has been booted from Parliament.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Nov 2019, 14:16

President Trump has made a point of very publicly donating his $400,000 annual salary as president to various civic minded efforts.

While these contributions will likely support socially useful activities, people should not be misled into thinking the national budget has benefited by having a billionaire business person in the White House.

According to the New York Times, Congress had to appropriate an additional $120 million to cover the additional security costs required by Trump as a result of the unusual security demands that he and his family have placed on the Secret Service and government agencies.

To be clear, these are not the normal costs of protecting the president. This $120 million is additional spending that was needed as a result of factors unique to Trump.

This includes the Secret Service protection for his adult children (adult children of prior presidents have not been protected), his decision to have his wife and one of his sons stay in New York for the first six months of his presidency, and his habit of visiting Trump properties rather than vacationing at Camp David, like prior presidents.

Camp David is already well-secured, and therefore does not require much additional spending when the president visits. This is not the case with Mar-a-Lago and various other Trump properties.

The chart below gives the relative costs of the additional security spending required by the Trump family and the value of his donated salary, net of taxes. (It assumes that he would pay 40 percent of his $400,000 annual salary in taxes.)

As can be seen, the additional cost of security for President Trump and his family is more than 400 times the net value of the contribution of his presidential paycheck.

The public would be considerably better off with a president who pocketed his paycheck and made less extravagant security demands on the Secret Service and other governmental agencies.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 27 Nov 2019, 17:44

SethBullock wrote:. Wars cost us blood and money, and we get nothing in return for them.

Not sure that's true ... the American economy has had huge benefits because of all the spending needed to fund all these wars. The defence industry is, I believe, one of the US's largest industries, propped up by one war after another since WWII.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 27 Nov 2019, 22:54

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:. Wars cost us blood and money, and we get nothing in return for them.

Not sure that's true ... the American economy has had huge benefits because of all the spending needed to fund all these wars. The defence industry is, I believe, one of the US's largest industries, propped up by one war after another since WWII.

I don't know. I mean, yes the defense industry is a huge industry. I just don't really know how much more the industry makes because of an actual war versus the constant preparation for war - what the Pentagon calls "readiness". The almost non-stop preparation has got to cost a fortune and use up equipment that has to be maintained and eventually replaced.

Just a story that relates ...

A few years ago my wife and I went to Las Vegas to watch the NASCAR races. It was a 3 day event with practice and qualifying on Friday, a race on Saturday, and a race on Sunday. The Las Vegas Motor Speedway is located right next to Nellis Air Force Base. On Friday, I could have sworn that every single aircraft and every single pilot they had took off and flew. Aircraft of every sort took off all morning. And then hours later, they all came back. Fighters, tankers, transports, an AWACS - everything. It took a solid hour or two to land them all. It was like a free air show. It was very impressive. But back to the topic ...

Is this what they do every working day? I guess it is. How much does that cost in fuel, parts and maintenance, and replacement? And all over the U.S. and the world, the armed services are practicing, practicing, practicing. Our Marines even practice an invasion of Australia every year or two, - sailing over there, using their landing craft - in case you guys discover oil on your island ... er ... I mean, in case you ever need our help. :buddy

I think I read somewhere that during the bombing campaign against ISIS the bomb manufacturers stepped it up to keep up.

I'm not saying wars don't create profits for the industry. I just wonder what the percentage of increase in profits is and whether it's really true that the industry needs wars to be profitable.

In any case, I, like a lot of Americans, would like to see us spend less on wars and more on our infrastructure and other domestic priorities. Bush's and Obama's wars cost a trillion dollars, and I wish that money had been spent on other things. We're tired of this. We want to focus on the homeland rather than some boondoggle thousands of miles away from home.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Nov 2019, 11:37

I hope you get your wish, Seth not just because we get volunteered for your wars. y toadyin leaders
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 28 Nov 2019, 12:36

HBS Guy wrote:I hope you get your wish, Seth not just because we get volunteered for your wars. y toadyin leaders

Are you talking into your phone? "y toadyin leaders"???

:rofl

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Nov 2019, 13:17

Oh yeah, was gonna fix that up :bgrin

Our leaders toady to the POTUS and we get dragged into your wars—only Somalia was US only I believe.

Korea
Viet Nam

(Also Malaysia, helping Brits in the communist insurrection)

Iraq 1
Iraq 2
Afghanistan
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 28 Nov 2019, 14:51

HBS Guy wrote:Oh yeah, was gonna fix that up :bgrin

Our leaders toady to the POTUS and we get dragged into your wars—only Somalia was US only I believe.

Korea
Viet Nam

(Also Malaysia, helping Brits in the communist insurrection)

Iraq 1
Iraq 2
Afghanistan

We could not even keep out of Somalia. There was an Australian cohort as part of the UN people there. Google Operation Solace. One of my old High School mates was there as part of that Force.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Nov 2019, 14:52

Oh, did not know that.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 28 Nov 2019, 18:35

SethBullock wrote: I just don't really know how much more the industry makes because of an actual war versus the constant preparation for war - what the Pentagon calls "readiness".

i suspect it makes a huge difference. For example, one Tomahawk missile costs $1.4 m dollars. They restrict live round exercises when just training. Most times they use dummy missiles for practice. In Syria they used 59 tomahawks, 802 were fired in Iraq. And that's one missile. I found this extract on the net:

According to website GlobalSecurity.org, the U.S. fired over 1,100 Tomahawks ... Since 1991

That.s a $1540 m boost to the economy with just one missile

The US has a lot more than just tomahawks, they have 7 operational missiles, then you have all the other artillery, ammunition and bits and pieces they restrict use during practice. I suspect that while you might fire 100 bullets at a paper target during practice, you'll fire 1000 bullets in 2 minutes at an enemy shooting back at you.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 29 Nov 2019, 15:38

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote: I just don't really know how much more the industry makes because of an actual war versus the constant preparation for war - what the Pentagon calls "readiness".

i suspect it makes a huge difference. For example, one Tomahawk missile costs $1.4 m dollars. They restrict live round exercises when just training. Most times they use dummy missiles for practice. In Syria they used 59 tomahawks, 802 were fired in Iraq. And that's one missile. I found this extract on the net:

According to website GlobalSecurity.org, the U.S. fired over 1,100 Tomahawks ... Since 1991

The US has a lot more than just tomahawks, they have 7 operational missiles, then you have all the other artillery, ammunition and bits and pieces they restrict use during practice. I suspect that while you might fire 100 bullets at a paper target during practice, you'll fire 1000 bullets in 2 minutes at an enemy shooting back at you.

Your facts and logic are correct. It does cost a lot of money to wage war. That's a burden we bear proudly IF it's necessary. But it's a gigantic waste when it isn't, and in recent years, most of the wars we engaged were unnecessary.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 29 Nov 2019, 18:05

Which ones are you referring to Seth?
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 30 Nov 2019, 02:26

Aussie wrote:Which ones are you referring to Seth?

I have mixed emotions about the Iraq war of 2003. The threat of WMD was almost non-existent, and yet when interrogated by the FBI after his capture, Saddam said that he wanted the Iranians to believe that he had WMD. Hence, he did not fully cooperate with weapons inspectors, giving that the impression that he actually had stocks of WMD that he was hiding. Unfortunately, Bush believed it too. Also, Saddam attempted to assassinate Bush 1 in the 90s when he visited Kuwait. That would have been a good time to just go in and topple Saddam, in retaliation for that. But not topple the rest of his government or disband the army. Just get him and leave. But, since we didn't do that then, we should not have invaded in 2003.

You guys know how defensive I am of my country, and I remember how I wanted to support the invasion of Iraq in 2003, keeping my fingers crossed that we would find stockpiles of WMD. Well, we didn't, and Iraq fell into chaos, a breeding ground for Al Qaeda that years later would morph into ISIS. For a time, our attempt to "nation build" appeared to succeed, as, through sheer force, we brought a semblance of order to Iraq after several bloody years. My son was wounded in Iraq during that effort. But, by the end of 2007, Iraq was actually fairly peaceful. There were free elections which seemed positive and encouraging. But, almost the day after our troops left Iraq at the end of 2011, Iraq deteriorated into tribalism and sectarian persecution and strife. Without the U.S. enforcing its will in Iraq, Iraq's fragmented factions could not cooperate with each other as a unified country. All of our effort and sacrifice in that country turned out to be in vain.

This should have been a hard lesson learned that would guide us. Stunningly, it didn't because next was Libya.

Obama and Clinton's war against Libya should have never happened. That struggle should have been left to the Libyans to settle. I never supported that war. And after destroying that country, next in Obama and Clinton's sights was Syria.

And the proxy war we waged against Syria was a huge mistake, a stunning mistake given our experience in Iraq and Libya. Again, I never supported that war either. We should not have had anything to do with that war, overtly or covertly.

The only war we've engaged that I support was the invasion of Afghanistan in pursuit of Al Qaeda, Osama bin Laden, and to topple the taliban government that sheltered him, in the aftermath of 9/11.

The war against ISIS in Syria and Iraq was necessary, but with an asterisk attached. And that would be that that war would not have been necessary if we hadn't carried out the wars in Iraq, Libya, and Syria in the first place. So I supported the destruction of ISIS, but it was our actions that enabled the rise of ISIS in the first place. And now, of course, we still have troops in Syria and Iraq with no exit date. If I were the president, I'd be pulling our troops out of both countries. Granted, our troops are a stabilizing influence, kind of like a police officer in plain view parked along side a road makes people slow down and obey the speed limit. But our only choices are to stay forever or to leave those countries to sort out their own problems because we should have learned by now that we cannot make them like us. They are not like us, and they don't want to be. Syria and Iraq are not the 51st and 52nd state of the U.S., and they never will be.

Seth

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 01 Dec 2019, 16:16

johnsmith wrote:

So you're saying the industry isn't producing when war is not happening!??!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 01 Dec 2019, 17:11

Bongalong wrote:So you're saying the industry isn't producing when war is not happening!??!

no, i'm saying it produces a lot more when war is happening
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 01 Dec 2019, 17:33

johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:So you're saying the industry isn't producing when war is not happening!??!

So you're saying there is no stockpiling of weapons... ? :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 01 Dec 2019, 18:15

Bongalong wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

So you're saying there is no stockpiling of weapons... ? :rofl

you know there is something seriously wrong with you, right?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 03 Dec 2019, 00:38

greggerypeccary wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:You're insane, Seth.

Sorry, but you are.

Nothing I said was insane; it was factual. You can call me names all day long, but I challenge you to show proof that anything I said was factually wrong.

He did make unprecedented peace overtures to North Korea.
He has resisted war with Iran.
He has reduced our activity in Syria since ISIS was defeated.
He has involved us in no new wars.
HIgh ranking officials who want war have left his administration, like John Bolton, for one example.

These are facts.

Hillary's track record was to make demands of countries and then go to war against them if they didn't comply. And then laugh as their countries were destroyed.

Instead of changing the goal posts Greg why don't you refute the points Seth Made, I don't think he has said anything about trumps rape charges and other thing's you brought up, I suppose when Trump gets convicted of a crime then we can be sure he is guilty, accused is another matter.... although after every accusation that doubt does gets less and less...
To be clear I don't like Trump and I think he should stand down as president and face any criminal charges he is responsible for.... If he does something good though it shouldn't be ignored, to do so makes you as bad as the people your condemning... :purple

Why is it that all the women who accuse Trump of sexual assault are liars yet Trump himself - a proven pathological liar (indisputable fact) and self-confessed sexual predator (indisputable fact) - is the only one telling the truth?

There are about 70 women now, and at least one child.

Is every single one of them a liar, and Trump is the only one telling the truth?

Still can't get an answer on this one.

Just so you know GP, I believe these women. I believe there are many others … but combined..?
I doubt they'd have enough money to bring him to account in the US Courts.

And let's face it.. money is everything in the US.
I haven't heard anyone saying they're all sluts... on here.

I think, given the opportunity, they could very well succeed, at least to some degree. BUT.... where is the $$$$ coming from?
You want to sue the President..? :jump

They must wait till he is that no longer. And hopefully in the meantime he will be impeached, imprisoned, and audited.!! :jump

History has always been written, in the main, by the victors.

Nowadays.?? :roll
It plays out on our screens 24/7.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 05 Dec 2019, 20:00

pinkeye wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:You're insane, Seth.

Sorry, but you are.

Nothing I said was insane; it was factual. You can call me names all day long, but I challenge you to show proof that anything I said was factually wrong.

He did make unprecedented peace overtures to North Korea.
He has resisted war with Iran.
He has reduced our activity in Syria since ISIS was defeated.
He has involved us in no new wars.
HIgh ranking officials who want war have left his administration, like John Bolton, for one example.

These are facts.

Hillary's track record was to make demands of countries and then go to war against them if they didn't comply. And then laugh as their countries were destroyed.

Instead of changing the goal posts Greg why don't you refute the points Seth Made, I don't think he has said anything about trumps rape charges and other thing's you brought up, I suppose when Trump gets convicted of a crime then we can be sure he is guilty, accused is another matter.... although after every accusation that doubt does gets less and less...
To be clear I don't like Trump and I think he should stand down as president and face any criminal charges he is responsible for.... If he does something good though it shouldn't be ignored, to do so makes you as bad as the people your condemning... :purple

Why is it that all the women who accuse Trump of sexual assault are liars yet Trump himself - a proven pathological liar (indisputable fact) and self-confessed sexual predator (indisputable fact) - is the only one telling the truth?

There are about 70 women now, and at least one child.

Is every single one of them a liar, and Trump is the only one telling the truth?

Still can't get an answer on this one.

Just so you know GP, I believe these women. I believe there are many others … but combined..?
I doubt they'd have enough money to bring him to account in the US Courts.

And let's face it.. money is everything in the US.
I haven't heard anyone saying they're all sluts... on here.

I think, given the opportunity, they could very well succeed, at least to some degree. BUT.... where is the $$$$ coming from?
You want to sue the President..? :jump

They must wait till he is that no longer. And hopefully in the meantime he will be impeached, imprisoned, and audited.!! :jump

History has always been written, in the main, by the victors.

Nowadays.?? :roll
It plays out on our screens 24/7.

The child who was allegedly raped by Trump & Epstein says that Trump also threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone about the attack.

And now Epstein - the only other person who could corroborate her story - dies mysteriously in a suicide-proof prison cell.

So many lies; so many coincidences.

The only one telling the truth is Mr Trump - a proven pathological liar and self-confessed sexual predator.

Yeah, right :roll
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 06 Dec 2019, 03:13

johnsmith wrote:

Indeed. The sale of military hardware makes the US huge amounts of dollars. It is perhaps their most successful export.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 06 Dec 2019, 14:06

So, as expected from the beginning, the House will impeach Trump on a purely partisan vote that not even all Democrats will vote for.

The Senate will hold a trial and acquit Trump, and life will go on.

... as I predicted.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 06 Dec 2019, 23:37

I suggest you wait for the outcome Seth. Long way to go yet.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Dec 2019, 04:33

The Americans will do everything they can to not make their leader wrong, It reflects badly on them, if there are any loopholes they will find them and both sides will try to not impeach him..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DreamRyderX » 07 Dec 2019, 08:11

SethBullock wrote:So, as expected from the beginning, the House will impeach Trump on a purely partisan vote that not even all Democrats will vote for.

The Senate will hold a trial and acquit Trump, and life will go on.

... as I predicted.

As did I Seth......When those purely Partisan Articles of Impeachment arrive in the US Senate, they will hit a brick wall......The Republicans make all the rules on how the process will proceed from that point on. The minority 47 vote democ-rats have no say in the 53 vote Majority Controlled Republican US Senate.

If the partisan Articles of Impeachment aren't summarily thrown out, & dismissed without a hearing, which is always possible, & the Republican Majority decides to have a hearing/trial, it will be merely a formality so the Republican Controlled US Senate can call all their witnesses, all those that the democ-rat US House of Representatives refused to call or admit, & once satisfied that they have made their case to the American People what a SHAM these partisan Articles truly are, they will vote upon the issue, & when the final tally falls far short of a Super-Majority 67 votes, the President will be acquitted in this political matter, & as you say Seth, "life will go on". President Donald John Trump will continue to serve ALL the American People.Image

The American People, those wishing to Voluntarily Exercise their American Right & Freedom to Vote, they will have their final say on this matter, & all other matters, Election Day,
Tuesday November 3rd, 2020.
Image ....ImageImageImage

........................................................Image

Never water yerself down just because someone might not be able ta handle ya at "190 Proof"
DreamRyderX
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Politics