What makes the best dog?

This board is moving to a new board running different, more capable software. Please go here:

http://www.polanimal.com.au/xenforo

You will need to be issued a temporary password on the new board. Please PM HBS Guy, Aussie or mothra for one.

The new board is well worth the little bit of pain involved.

This board will remain open for users who have not posted recently to find the new board

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: What makes the best dog?

Post by HBS Guy »

Yes, I will. Probably once summer is over unless I get the runt of the litter of staffordshire terriers (considering I collect porcelain staffordshire seems an appropriate breed for me) in January.

While it is a purebred I do like runts as pet—they only survive their first few weeks by using brain not brawn. Will see.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Post by pinkeye »

Lols? I know how you feel.

Best to jump right back in.. as Seth says, there are many dogs out there that need you. :thumb
sleeping is good for you

Lols
mountain lion

Post by Lols »

pinkeye wrote:Lols? I know how you feel.

Best to jump right back in.. as Seth says, there are many dogs out there that need you. :thumb
That is a lovely idea, and will definitely get involved somehow, I just can't bear to at present, still missing him so much. It comes in waves, and I just start crying.
Now my daughter is sending me all these cute dog photos on Instagram. The photos I love the most are when dogs are running, legs up, ears back up in the air.
Her friend told me, not far up the road from where she lives, there is a dog place that need volunteers to walk the dogs.
I will look into that, as a healing journey. Then from there, who knows where it may lead to.
It's good to talk about it, with people that understand :rose
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Yes, so many reminders of the companion that is not there anymore. While I did not bawl my eyes out outside the surgery unlike with Tiffany there are so many reminders that make you sad “Hmmm, need to go to the shop, where is Demi. . .(who would enjoy the walk”) etc. Still think of her so much.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Lols wrote:
pinkeye wrote:Lols? I know how you feel.

That is a lovely idea, and will definitely get involved somehow, I just can't bear to at present, still missing him so much. It comes in waves, and I just start crying.
Now my daughter is sending me all these cute dog photos on Instagram. The photos I love the most are when dogs are running, legs up, ears back up in the air.
Her friend told me, not far up the road from where she lives, there is a dog place that need volunteers to walk the dogs.
I will look into that, as a healing journey. Then from there, who knows where it may lead to.
It's good to talk about it, with people that understand :rose
I do know Lols.
My darling is getting old.. I have had many dogs over the years.. and each one has been a unique individual.
I love them all, and still find myself reminiscing.

:)
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Yup.

Can’t wait to get back to obedience and tracking training!

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

What makes the best dog?

I like mine with a bit of cheese and tomato sauce. :yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

One of the funniest food heists Demi pulled off was in Tassie in April this year. I had ordered a chili pizza and it lived up to its name! I ate—slowly, was too chili to eat fast—all but one slice then decided a nap was in order so we hit the sack. I fell asleep and woke about 3 hours later. Immediately I thought “That pizza box is no longer on the table!” and, nope, on the floor it was (not very chewed up at all, luckily, very little mess.)

Only question I had: she could eat it, only we taste chili and a dog has bugger all tastebuds anyway, but did she feel discomfort from the heat? Sis texted something like “Did she have hot farts?” :bgrin

As a young dog—ate four fucking friands put on a low table. FOUR! Not above eating bird shit either, fortunately she has to be on a lead in the wetlands area. Ha! Before leads were mandatory there Demi decided to chase after some ducks who raced into the water, Demi in hot pursuit, swimming some hundred of metres before returning. Lots of people watching and laughing. Did something similar in the Torrens earlier.

Last trip to Tassie took something out of her, I think. The Melbourne-Devonport crossing was really rough, instead of just standing quietly in her kennel waiting for me she was lickign her nose nonstop—sign of stress in a dog. That trip she spent much of her time when I was working on the block just sleeping in the shed or my car. She did come to life in the walks along the beach with the dogs from 2-4 other locals, loved it, dashing here and there, sniffing sometimes falling back and walking beside the German Shepherd belonging to one of the locals very companionably, funny to see, the little terrier and the big male shepherd.

RIP Demi.

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Post by karlrand »

Best dog?? Best dog for what? Hunting, protecting your property, rounding up sheep, retrieving shot game from water, a hot water bottle for winter, something to lick your toes, a brainless, fluffy toy to comb? The list could go on.
Bread doesn’t always promise the best either. From the same litter you can get a huge range of different character types. Well that is unless we’re talking about Pitt Bull Terriers when you’re almost guaranteed something psychotic.
Then there’s the influence of environment and how owners treat young dogs.
I suppose though there’s a specific meaning to ‘What makes the best dog’ which can imply what characteristics are preferable in any dog. That’s really a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question.
I have three dogs at the moment, two are mine and one on long term loan. In order they are an Australian Bulldog/Smithfield cross, a Labrador/Kelpie cross and the visiting Russian Wolf Hound (Borzoi). I’d post photos but I can’t figure out how to upload images to this site from my desktop.
We also have dogs staying for a day or overnight. These are two Kelpies a Chocolate Labrador and a Field Labrador. The dogs around here have a better social life than I do.
Groupthink will destroy us all.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Use the Attachment tab below the Submit button in the test entry window.

Will see if I can make space available for uploading photos so the [img].%20.%20.[/img] tabs can be used. I used to upload to photobucket until they started asking for money. Flickr is another site you can load images to.

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Post by karlrand »

HBS Guy wrote:Use the Attachment tab below the Submit button in the test entry window.

Will see if I can make space available for uploading photos so the [img].%20.%20.[/img] tabs can be used. I used to upload to photobucket until they started asking for money. Flickr is another site you can load images to.
Not only did Photobucket ask for money they lost over 250 of my images. Besides, for some reason when the new owners took over the software became unpredictable and incompatible with Mac operating systems. I now prefer to dublicate all my files on two external hard drives. Aids in lowering my paranoia about having what I consicer ‘my material’ out there in the cloud.
Making space available for uploading images on [img].%20.%20.[/img] could come at a financial cost. I don’t know what the situation is with this site concering ownership, costs and server rent etc.

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Post by karlrand »

Best dog?? Best dog for what? Hunting, protecting your property, rounding up sheep, retrieving shot game from water, a hot water bottle for winter, something to lick your toes, a brainless, fluffy toy to comb? The list could go on.
Breeding doesn’t always promise the best either. From the same litter you can get a huge range of different character types. Well that is unless we’re talking about Pitt Bull Terriers when you’re almost guaranteed something psychotic.
Then there’s the influence of environment and how owners treat young dogs.
I suppose though there’s a specific meaning to ‘What makes the best dog’ which can imply what characteristics are preferable in any dog. That’s really a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question.
I have three dogs at the moment, two are mine and one on long term loan. In order they are an Australian Bulldog/Smithfield cross, a Labrador/Kelpie cross and the visiting Russian Wolf Hound (Borzoi). I’d post photos but I can’t figure out how to upload images to this site from my desktop.
We also have dogs staying for a day or overnight. These are two Kelpies a Chocolate Labrador and a Field Labrador. The dogs around here have a better social life than I do.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

For me I guess I mean companion animal. A dog I can walk and do obedience training and maybe tracking training with.

The terrier I had to have put down just before Christmas came from the pound—it had strayed from her first home where she had been abused. Never liked strangers, bit bity with them. Like all terriers, bit of a nightmare early on in obedience training but she loved the tracking and was brilliant at it.

A crossbreed (Jack Russell/Maltese terrier) she only started to get cataracts at age 12, still had pretty good vision at the end whereas my purebreed chihuahua was blind by 10 years of age.

So crossbreed or mongrel by preference.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Yes quite right, it depends on YOUR (our) needs.

For me? > a dog that fits with me. A companion .

Currently, I have an aging large (40 kg) brindle mongrel of indeterminate breed that is just such a beautiful girl... she is BIG, but kids adore her, and so do any dog people who see her .. she definitely smiles, and grins, and understands most of what I feel, to the extent that she knows when I am unhappy.....etc.
I make a special effort sometimes to protect her from my blues.....

seems strange but she knows how I feel, it seems, before I do.

Had a Vaccination visit today, where her long front nails were clipped as well. No way can I get to do her nails.. it's a bit Keystone Cops, whenever I try … I chase her around the room until I give up. :roll

So, yeah... Christmas Day here, it was RAINING...like the best present ever... and then I noticed her licking her flank.

I looked, and my heart sank. There was this new lesion I'd not noticed before. :? :sad

And it's changed since then.

So, today my vet tested some skin cells, and........ it isn't looking very hopeful. There may be more than one site that need excision, and ..... a bit like a skin cancer it may well have already metastesized.

I guess I have to make a decision.....
sleeping is good for you

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Post by karlrand »

pinkeye wrote:Yes quite right, it depends on YOUR (our) needs.

Currently, I have an aging large (40 kg) brindle mongrel of indeterminate breed that is just such a beautiful girl... she is BIG, but kids adore her, and so do any dog people who see her .. she definitely smiles, and grins, and understands most of what I feel, to the extent that she knows when I am unhappy.....etc.

Had a Vaccination visit today, where her long front nails were clipped as well. No way can I get to do her nails.. it's a bit Keystone Cops, whenever I try … I chase her around the room until I give up. :roll

So, yeah... Christmas Day here, it was RAINING...like the best present ever... and then I noticed her licking her flank.

I looked, and my heart sank. There was this new lesion I'd not noticed before. :? :sad

So, today my vet tested some skin cells, and........ it isn't looking very hopeful. There may be more than one site that need excision, and ..... a bit like a skin cancer it may well have already metastesized.

The sad thing about having a dog or cat etc for a companion is we invariably outlive them. However at my age I’ve decided when my two depart the planet I’m not getting another one. If I acquired a pup at my age it would probably outlive me which really isn’t fair to them. Recenlty my neighbour died suddenly in front of his dog. The dog now refuses to eat even after being put on tranquilisers by the vet. It’s even lost all interest in my dogs which were it’s close friends. My two go up to it every day, sometimes licking it’s head but it hardly responds at all.

If you have to make that dicision remember you’re doing the animal a favour. Some people, even when their animal is serioulsy ill and in pain wont make that decision. From my perspective that’s no more than a form of cruelty. I wish as humans we could have the same attitude to our own species but being the creatures we are we often don’t trust our families not to want to bump us off to get at our assets.

Lols
mountain lion

Post by Lols »

karlrand wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Use the Attachment tab below the Submit button in the test entry window.

Not only did Photobucket ask for money they lost over 250 of my images. Besides, for some reason when the new owners took over the software became unpredictable and incompatible with Mac operating systems. I now prefer to dublicate all my files on two external hard drives. Aids in lowering my paranoia about having what I consicer ‘my material’ out there in the cloud.
Making space available for uploading images on [img].%20.%20.[/img] could come at a financial cost. I don’t know what the situation is with this site concering ownership, costs and server rent etc.
Hi karlrand, I use imgur to do images. Takes a bit of finding links for forums but I eventually work it out. So try imgur.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell

Lols
mountain lion

Post by Lols »

Oh no, so sorry to hear above your beloved pet. I wish you could find products to help your dog slow the cancer down.
I did once with a former blue heeler we had. Shark cartilage powder, and the inside of organic apricot kernel (cyanide vitamin b17) I must say it stopped the spread of it as he had it in his scrotums. Vet when first discovered our dog to have that urged an operation. After a few months, vet phoned to say it would have stuck to his stomach lining by now and was anxious, I thought this operation is costly, then I thought of what it was costing me with supplementation per month. I though to go ahead with operation.
Well, much to vets delight and astonishment, he said the tumour hadn’t gone any further, didn’t stick to stomach walls and came away very cleanly,
Dog did okay thereafter.

Lols
mountain lion

Post by Lols »

karlrand wrote:

The sad thing about having a dog or cat etc for a companion is we invariably outlive them. However at my age I’ve decided when my two depart the planet I’m not getting another one. If I acquired a pup at my age it would probably outlive me which really isn’t fair to them. Recenlty my neighbour died suddenly in front of his dog. The dog now refuses to eat even after being put on tranquilisers by the vet. It’s even lost all interest in my dogs which were it’s close friends. My two go up to it every day, sometimes licking it’s head but it hardly responds at all.

If you have to make that dicision remember you’re doing the animal a favour. Some people, even when their animal is serioulsy ill and in pain wont make that decision. From my perspective that’s no more than a form of cruelty. I wish as humans we could have the same attitude to our own species but being the creatures we are we often don’t trust our families not to want to bump us off to get at our assets.
My thoughts too RE my age and since my beloved dog is no
Longer here, it’s been less than 4 months now and I still get teary.
The cat has settled better after looking for him and meowing “where are you”
It’s hard to see this.
My daughter delights me with a daily dose of dog pics she takes snaps of when she goes for walks.
She also dog sits and they are absolutely adorable. I get a daily photo diary of their adventures.
This helps my grieving a bit. My dog was helping me go through a difficult year and now is gone and I don’t think the vet was right with what he did, not after I find out he is labelled as dr. Death.
I just found out last night a friend had her 12 yr old beautiful cat white cat put down by him. I asked, what for really?
Oh a bit of arthritis in legs.
I said there’s medication for that. But anyway her young son grew up with this cat and he has photos all over a wall of the cat. That arsehole dr. Death strikes again!!
Hey, there’s weirdo nurses that do that to babies, or elderly folk too. Scan news sources and see.
You reckon some vet wouldn’t be similar?
I’m really upset. Wish I knew earlier about this vet, wish I went to a different vet or vet hospital for 2nd opinion and to be better checked out. Imagine this happens with people too getting wrong prognosis and medication etc
Sorry, I’m still sad.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

karlrand wrote: The sad thing about having a dog or cat etc for a companion is we invariably outlive them. However at my age I’ve decided when my two depart the planet I’m not getting another one. If I acquired a pup at my age it would probably outlive me which really isn’t fair to them. Recenlty my neighbour died suddenly in front of his dog. The dog now refuses to eat even after being put on tranquilisers by the vet. It’s even lost all interest in my dogs which were it’s close friends. My two go up to it every day, sometimes licking it’s head but it hardly responds at all.

Anybody who dies by euthanasia has their assets put in a trust for 10 years. Takes care of the financial motivation of bumping off a relative!

Yes, Tiffy and Demi I knew I could take away the pain and that is comforting amongst the sadness of losing a companion of over 10 years. Demi loved the place where my block is and the walks from there and I had hoped she could have lived out her life there. As one of the locals I used to walk Demi with down there said “She is a happy little thing, isn’t she?” And she was, charging here and there, sniffing and marking, ignoring the two border collies but sometimes walking a few minutes next to Bruno the (male) German Shepherd—was it love? :bgrin First week in January Bluey’s Staffordshire bitch came to me 2-3 times and looked quizzically at me as if to say “So, where is Demi?” Where indeed.

I think I need to get another small dog: Mum is too old to have a 20–30Kg dog jumping up at her. Another terrier cross I dare say, bit more get up and go, bit more pluck.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

RSPCA has three puppies, all male American Staffordshire terriers in Whyalla! Nah.

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Post by karlrand »

HBS Guy wrote:
karlrand wrote: The sad thing about having a dog or cat etc for a companion is we invariably outlive them. However at my age I’ve decided when my two depart the planet I’m not getting another one. If I acquired a pup at my age it would probably outlive me which really isn’t fair to them. Recenlty my neighbour died suddenly in front of his dog. The dog now refuses to eat even after being put on tranquilisers by the vet. It’s even lost all interest in my dogs which were it’s close friends. My two go up to it every day, sometimes licking it’s head but it hardly responds at all.

Anybody who dies by euthanasia has their assets put in a trust for 10 years. Takes care of the financial motivation of bumping off a relative!

Yes, Tiffy and Demi I knew I could take away the pain and that is comforting amongst the sadness of losing a companion of over 10 years. Demi loved the place where my block is and the walks from there and I had hoped she could have lived out her life there. As one of the locals I used to walk Demi with down there said “She is a happy little thing, isn’t she?” And she was, charging here and there, sniffing and marking, ignoring the two border collies but sometimes walking a few minutes next to Bruno the (male) German Shepherd—was it love? :bgrin First week in January Bluey’s Staffordshire bitch came to me 2-3 times and looked quizzically at me as if to say “So, where is Demi?” Where indeed.

I think I need to get another small dog: Mum is too old to have a 20–30Kg dog jumping up at her. Another terrier cross I dare say, bit more get up and go, bit more pluck.
You’ve jolted my memory. When I moved to Tasmania 16 years ago I bought my 15 year old Scots Collie. She wasn’t too happy when I picked her up from the airport refusing to look at me all the way to my new house. However once she got inside the front gate and realised she was in dog heaven with acres to play with she bounced over to me with lots of hysterical dog type thanks. Sadly she died the next day. She’s now fertilising a pear tree.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

September Melb—DPO crossing was a bit rough and I had not arranged the bedding as well as I could and when I went to get her out of the kennel on the ferry instead of standing there calmly taking in what was happening she was licking her nose at the speed of lightning. I got her out of the kennel and as I started to carry her to the car she whined. Made me feel guilty as hell :oops as I should have done better with the bedding but she settled down soon enough and showed no concern on me putting her back in a kennel when returning to Melbourne.

Must get some dog seasick tablets.

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Post by karlrand »

HBS Guy wrote:September Melb—DPO crossing was a bit rough and I had not arranged the bedding as well as I could and when I went to get her out of the kennel on the ferry instead of standing there calmly taking in what was happening she was licking her nose at the speed of lightning. I got her out of the kennel and as I started to carry her to the car she whined. Made me feel guilty as hell :oops as I should have done better with the bedding but she settled down soon enough and showed no concern on me putting her back in a kennel when returning to Melbourne.

Must get some dog seasick tablets.
Why not fly her timing it so she arrives very soon after you get off the ship? You need to negotiate with the pet transport company though to minimise the amount of time she’ll spend at their mainland depot waiting to be flown out.

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Post by karlrand »

HBS Guy wrote:RSPCA has three puppies, all male American Staffordshire terriers in Whyalla! Nah.
Speaking from personal experience Staffordshire terriers may be small but they’re very heavy and will find jumping into Nana’s lap just too inviting.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Even English staffies, twice as heavy as Demi that Mum could just cope with in her lap (the Maltese coming through? She was a very loving dog to us but not to strangers—In Members is a thread “Dog bites man” well worth reading because DO NOT APPROACH STRANGE DOGS AND TRY TO PET THEM! We (me and Demi) had quite a little adventure that day, fortunately my local knowledge got us (me and Demi) out of it OK.

I don’t think that guy tried to pet Demi, BTW, a sly kick as he went past maybe. Too bad, arsehole, got bit!