Ohio's abortion Bill

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Ohio's abortion Bill

Postby johnsmith » 30 Nov 2019, 14:46

Ohio bill orders doctors to ‘reimplant ectopic pregnancy’ or face 'abortion murder' charges

Ohio introduces one of the most extreme bills to date for a procedure that does not exist in medical science

A bill to ban abortion introduced in the Ohio state legislature requires doctors to “reimplant an ectopic pregnancy” into a woman’s uterus – a procedure that does not exist in medical science – or face charges of “abortion murder”.

This is the second time practising obstetricians and gynecologists have tried to tell the Ohio legislators that the idea is currently medically impossible.

The move comes amid a wave of increasingly severe anti-abortion bills introduced across much of the country as conservative Republican politicians seek to ban abortion and force a legal showdown on abortion with the supreme court.

Ohio’s move on ectopic pregnancies – where an embryo implants on the mother’s fallopian tube rather than her uterus rendering the pregnancy unviable – is one of the most extreme bills to date.

“I don’t believe I’m typing this again but, that’s impossible,” wrote Ohio obstetrician and gynecologist Dr David Hackney on Twitter. “We’ll all be going to jail,” he said.

An ectopic pregnancy is a life-threatening condition, which can kill a woman if the embryonic tissue grows unchecked.

In addition to ordering doctors to do the impossible or face criminal charges, House Bill 413 bans abortion outright and defines a fertilized egg as an “unborn child”.

It also appears to punish doctors, women and children as young as 13 with “abortion murder” if they “perform or have an abortion”. This crime is punishable by life in prison. Another new crime, “aggravated abortion murder”, is punishable by death, according to the bill.

The bill is sponsored by representatives Candice Keller and Ron Hood, and co-sponsored by 19 members of Ohio’s 99-member House.

Mike Gonidakis, the president of the anti-abortion group Ohio Right to Life, declined to comment on the bill, and said he was still reading the legislation because, it’s “approximately 700 pages long”. He said his office is “taking off the rest of the week for Thanksgiving”.

The Guardian also contacted the Susan B Anthony List, a national anti-abortion organization. The organization did not reply to a request for comment.

Keller, Hood and eight of the bill’s 19 co-sponsors did not reply to requests for comment. The Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association also did not reply to a request for comment.

Ohio passed a six-week abortion ban last summer. The “heartbeat bill”, as supporters called it, banned abortion before most women know they are pregnant. Reproductive rights groups immediately sued, and the bill never went into effect. Abortion is legal in all 50 US states.

In May, researcher Dr Daniel Grossman argued reimplanting a fertilized egg or embryo is “pure science fiction” in a Twitter thread that went viral in May, when the bill was first introduced.

“There is no procedure to reimplant an ectopic pregnancy,” said Dr Chris Zahn, vice-president of practice activities at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. “It is not possible to move an ectopic pregnancy from a fallopian tube, or anywhere else it might have implanted, to the uterus,” he said.

“Reimplantation is not physiologically possible. Women with ectopic pregnancies are at risk for catastrophic hemorrhage and death in the setting of an ectopic pregnancy, and treating the ectopic pregnancy can certainly save a mom’s life,” said Zahn.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/29/ohio-extreme-abortion-bill-reimplant-ectopic-pregnancy

:OMG :OMG :WTF

Doctors face criminal murder charges if they don't reverse an abortion that'll save a womans life. :WTF

I'd agree to support this bill but only if they make one amendment. Any politician supporting this bill will face criminal murder charges for every woman that dies from an ectopic-pregnancy because doctors won't abort.

Sorry Seth, but what the fuck is wrong with you Americans?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Re: Ohio's abortion Bill

Postby Aussie » 30 Nov 2019, 16:14

Explain that in layman's terms. I don't get it.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Aussie » 30 Nov 2019, 17:48

Aussie wrote:Explain that in layman's terms. I don't get it.

I do now. It is crap. Medically impossible and the proposal of just ONE Conservative Ohio wanker.

Not worth talking about, and Sandpit is a good home for it.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 01 Dec 2019, 22:11

these wankers are all over the world.

Bosnia-Herzegovina now claims all embryo's, or IVF eggs, that a woman has saved.. after x number of yrs they are given away to childless couples. HUH.? Perhaps I misunderstood, but I don't think so.

It reflects a significant attack, much like Ohio's proposal, on the right's of women to control their own lives.
It's happening all over.. a last ditch attempt by men to keep control over women..

That is SAD.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2019, 07:03

Yes, a niece had an ectopic pregnancy—would not like to think of some dickhead “christian” endangering her life for what he will say is religious reasons but likely has more to do with control over others.

There has been a backlash by “christian” lawmakers in the US to do away with abortion and “christian” lawmakers there want to overturn Roe v Wade—part of the rollback is to have a case end up in the now conservative SCOTUS. Denying Obama the right to appoint a judge to the Court was filthy politics!

But efforts to control women by churches working through Repug politicians at state level in the US go back quite some time, I documented the increasing rollback of abortion and other sexual health services—Pap smears, breast cancer screening etc—mainly in the US here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2019, 09:38

So the bottom line is?
I’m trying to medically understand this.
If a doctor saves a woman’s life by removing the embryo from an area that could kill the mother, thus saving her life, but a doctor could be charged with murder unless the embryo is re-instated where is should’ve been in the correct first place?
So if a doctor saves the mother from dying, gets charged with murder because of a malfunction misplaced embryo?
And doctor expected to do an impossible non existent transfer of embryo or face murder charges if they save a woman’s life?
Therefore, doctors won’t attempt to save mothers life, Mother dies, and that’s okay?
Then those in politic office should be charged with murder for that, definitely!
The world is going mad. We are going backwards.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 02 Dec 2019, 17:46

Lols wrote:So the bottom line is?
I’m trying to medically understand this.
If a doctor saves a woman’s life by removing the embryo from an area that could kill the mother, thus saving her life, but a doctor could be charged with murder unless the embryo is re-instated where is should’ve been in the correct first place?
So if a doctor saves the mother from dying, gets charged with murder because of a malfunction misplaced embryo?
And doctor expected to do an impossible non existent transfer of embryo or face murder charges if they save a woman’s life?
Therefore, doctors won’t attempt to save mothers life, Mother dies, and that’s okay?
Then those in politic office should be charged with murder for that, definitely!
The world is going mad. We are going backwards.

I understand it's even worse than that. Someone said on another forum that they want to force doctors to move the embryo from the fallopian tube to the uterus ... irrespective of whether they removed it in the first place. A procedure that simply does not exist.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Sand Pit