Changes to the board

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Changes to the board

Post by HBS Guy »

Nope.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Tonight I will try again to import the database into XenForo. Before I start I will disable the board—means that changes to the database cannot be made while the import is happening. If successful I will keep it disabled and make XenForo the software that runs when you go to www.polanimal.com.au.

Bear with me.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Got a bit further but access to the database was blocked as some of you may have found out. Details have been sent to XenForo.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Any posts after this will NOY be in the XenForo database.

Tep, the import is done!

Better late than never? Fuck off, I didn’t want to do this, I wanted to be a lumberjack!

So—just waiting for a last word from XenForo and we can wave phpBB3.0, 3.3 whatever “Bye bye!” :up

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

SethBullock
Warthog
spamone: Animal

Post by SethBullock »

HBS Guy wrote:
25 May 2020, 22:01
Go look:

xenforo/index.php
I can't log in. It says the password is incorrect.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

chris155au
Cheetah

Post by chris155au »

johnsmith wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 10:33
sure we do ... it'll be something similar to the yank forum :grn
What, as in alerts/notifications?

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

OK, still some debugging to do. But on the right track.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Aussie managed to log on and post a picture.

Did you need to change password, Aussie?

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Post by Aussie »

HBS Guy wrote:
26 May 2020, 09:17
Aussie managed to log on and post a picture.

Did you need to change password, Aussie?
Nah. Same password.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

HBS Guy wrote:
25 May 2020, 22:01
Go look:

xenforo/index.php
i can't log in either ...says incorrect password
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I am trying to change the password, fill in my email addy. . .nothing.

Will give it an hour.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

HBS Guy wrote:
26 May 2020, 09:50
I am trying to change the password, fill in my email addy. . .nothing.

Will give it an hour.

you don't have my email ... pm me the new password
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Hah! Posted a youtube video and no issue with the https!

:bgrin

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

Aussie wrote:
26 May 2020, 11:15

Half the time I can't even post a picture... Like what the?....
"Oi!"

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

(Thank jeebus for emoticons! :clap :c :PC)
"Oi!"

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Bongalong wrote:
26 May 2020, 11:18
Aussie wrote:

You will have no trouble at all at the new XenForo site when Monk gets the bugs sorted.

chris155au
Cheetah

Post by chris155au »

Aussie wrote:
26 May 2020, 11:30
Bongalong wrote:
26 May 2020, 11:18
Aussie wrote:

You will have no trouble at all at the new XenForo site when Monk gets the bugs sorted.
Xenforo is coming? I saw that this thread was created back in April when I swear the forum was still the old version of phpBB, so I just assumed that the new version of phpBB was the change that this thread refers to! Not the case?

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Not the case. Monk is still working to move to XenForo....the same thing that Yank Forum runs on. He is almost there in getting the migration to that new software from the pissy php thing.

chris155au
Cheetah

Post by chris155au »

Aussie wrote:
26 May 2020, 17:53
Not the case. Monk is still working to move to XenForo....the same thing that Yank Forum runs on. He is almost there in getting the migration to that new software from the pissy php thing.
So what was the point in upgrading phpBB if it was only going to be for five minutes before migrating to Xenforo?

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Because there is no importer for early versions of phpBB3, only 3.2 and 3.3, I do not do unnecessary work! :purple :yellow :purple

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

good to hear.
Go for it
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

There is an email from XenForo, will look at it later, might fix the password problem. I then intend to proceed with the new board, whatever problems—we can work through those. I suspect every PM is present twice—maybe Aussie could confirm. You can gradually delete the duplicate PMs.

Let us get used to the board, I will get the tiger logo put up and then the PA little icon on the tabs. Then we can argue about how it should look

I think we need to work on a portal page, even if I have to pay a developer, so that new members hit the portal page, read a description, have to indicate they read the Moderation Guidelines etc. Bit like the original DebateRelate. We can put a stack of meta tags on it—these are invisible to users but the bots can read them and they will do a tiny bit to lift our standing in Google etc rankings.

The MAIN way to lift our ranking is to post links to authoritative sources: the ABC, Age-SMH, NY Times, scientific journals etc. Any current affairs thread should have at least one or two links to these quality sources. I prefer to see no links to Murdoch, yuck! Another way is to link to this board from your Twitter account, FaceBook page, comments to blogs or newspaper articles, etc. If they offer a space to put your website address put in polanimal.com.au.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

HBS Guy wrote:
27 May 2020, 08:12
There is an email from XenForo, will look at it later, might fix the password problem. I then intend to proceed with the new board, whatever problems—we can work through those. I suspect every PM is present twice—maybe Aussie could confirm. You can gradually delete the duplicate PMs.

Let us get used to the board, I will get the tiger logo put up and then the PA little icon on the tabs. Then we can argue about how it should look

I think we need to work on a portal page, even if I have to pay a developer, so that new members hit the portal page, read a description, have to indicate they read the Moderation Guidelines etc. Bit like the original DebateRelate. We can put a stack of meta tags on it—these are invisible to users but the bots can read them and they will do a tiny bit to lift our standing in Google etc rankings.

The MAIN way to lift our ranking is to post links to authoritative sources: the ABC, Age-SMH, NY Times, scientific journals etc. Any current affairs thread should have at least one or two links to these quality sources. I prefer to see no links to Murdoch, yuck! Another way is to link to this board from your Twitter account, FaceBook page, comments to blogs or newspaper articles, etc. If they offer a space to put your website address put in polanimal.com.au.

i still can't log on
FD.

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

HBS Guy wrote:
27 May 2020, 08:12

I don't have duplicate emails. On the new site, they are called 'Conversations.' I have no access to the ACP or any buttons either yet Monk.