Economic impact of Corona Virus

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Over 16% unemployment rate, casuals and young workers the hardest hit. Hours worked has plummeted!

Dollar has dropped on the news.

To be expected, I think.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Re: Economic impact of Corona Virus

Post by pinkeye »

So I think you will agree the government was wrong.! :jump :oops

I mean really,,, everything they have said about this economic impact is $ 60, 000, 000,000 WRONG.!!
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Economy was already weak before the virus hit. More could have worked from home if we had a decent internet network instead of the more expensive yet not fit for purpose shambles of an NBN.

Economy has been rated as negative by one agency. Naturally.

Libs REALLY will have to upgrade the NBN to 93% FTTH else so-called smart nation with a dumb network! It failed so badly when really needed and it will not allow new services, new applications—it is a wonder if it works, badly, at all!

I have no idea why the complete morons decided to change to copper: Murdoch not wanting competition? Libs not wanting to carry a brilliant Labor project to completion, idiot abbot? Just anti science?

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

HBS Guy wrote:
14 May 2020, 12:18
Over 16% unemployment rate, casuals and young workers the hardest hit. Hours worked has plummeted!

Dollar has dropped on the news.

To be expected, I think.
I think the Govt f'n people around will crash the economy: people are sick of c's ripping the tax payer blind and will rebel. People go to work and deal with c's in the office all day and when you lose your job and get told you were unessential anyway you don't expect more false promises. There comes a time when the people collectively tell the big nobs to watch their step. :OMG
"Oi!"

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

From the numbers I've been told my replacement has been doing, I should be enjoying a 50% increase in income because of the corona ... instead i miss out and end up with no income for 3 months .... by the time my knee recovers this would have settled back to normal. :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Maybe.

by the time my knee recovers this would have settled back to normal.

I hope it isn't the same normal.
sleeping is good for you

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

johnsmith wrote:
23 May 2020, 10:20

From the numbers I've been told my replacement has been doing, I should be enjoying a 50% increase in income because of the corona ... instead i miss out and end up with no income for 3 months .... by the time my knee recovers this would have settled back to normal. :grn
You're in the toilet paper business?
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Visited Strathalbyn yesterday. Went to my fave shop. While they do have a Facebook page they don’t have a website. I did pay off a layby and bought an item from them during the lockdown and they took photos of selected items and sent them to some auction site and some interstate customers bought items via phone calls and direct bank deposits etc—kept the wolf from the door if not from the front gate.

Visited another shop, paid some money off a layby. They have no web presence at all and so had no income at all for seven weeks. If COVID19 lockdowns are going to happen every year they are going to have to increase their on line presence.

COVID19 is not going to go away anymore than the common cold or flu have. A vaccine will be developed but due to viruses mutating—whether laying huge swathes of mankind low or struggling to infect one—a new vaccine will be needed every year.

In countries with decent broadband the move to working from home will accelerate. Not in Australia of course {sigh} Maybe keep TWO packets of toilet paper in reserve, keep stocks of soap, hand sanitiser, frozen/tinned preserved food with a vege patch to provide some fresh greens. Through the epidemic I was far from impressed with how shopping centres and food markets (except one farmers market) managed things—if the lockdown had happened a week or two later or more cruise ships had been allowed to let infected passengers disembark what would the story be now, 1000 dead? So I visited the markets/shopping centres as little as possible and did not let Mum accompany me but always had at the back of my mind: what if I carry the virus home somehow? A 99yo has no effective immune system left, a 70 old a defective one. Next time, if there is one and there will be until the Chinese accept food hygiene—the virus 99% sure came from pangolins hunted and slaughtered/butchered in disgustingly dirty wet markets, markets that are operating again—I will use food delivery services. Didn’t this time—I do not buy meat/fruit/veg from supermarkets but could have got deliveries from one farmers market—but will in future.

Winter here is not over, not really started yet. Do NOT relax your guard. The two shops I visited had hardly any people in them but when I got to “Harvest the Fleurieu” where we often have breakfast on our trips south I decided there were too many people and so just bought coffee and muffins that we ate in the car.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote:
24 May 2020, 06:09
johnsmith wrote:
23 May 2020, 10:20

You're in the toilet paper business?
i've delivered my share of toilet paper
:B :B
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

HBS Guy wrote:
23 May 2020, 01:47
Economy was already weak before the virus hit. More could have worked from home if we had a decent internet network instead of the more expensive yet not fit for purpose shambles of an NBN.

Economy has been rated as negative by one agency. Naturally.

Libs REALLY will have to upgrade the NBN to 93% FTTH else so-called smart nation with a dumb network! It failed so badly when really needed and it will not allow new services, new applications—it is a wonder if it works, badly, at all!

I have no idea why the complete morons decided to change to copper: Murdoch not wanting competition? Libs not wanting to carry a brilliant Labor project to completion, idiot abbot? Just anti science?
History will not treat the Abbott-Turnbull joke with kid gloves and all the smart little rich kids will forever how their heads in shame.
"Oi!"